[Fight] Temporary Douglas & Atinymonkey thread

Douglas

I am of course assuming he will be posting his response to atinymonkey in the parent thread, rather than in this one.

I only separated these posts out because they detract from the "Gun Debate" thread, whereas Douglas' next response ought to be a bit more on topic.

I am of course assuming he will be posting his response to atinymonkey in the parent thread' date=' rather than in this one.

I only separated these posts out because they detract from the "Gun Debate" thread, whereas Douglas' next response ought to be a bit more on topic.[/quote']

No, I'll continue it hear, it's where it belongs.

This is the 1st half, I think the 2nd half will be better. There's more to go.

The searching and copying takes some time.

I tried to lay it out so it would be easy to read.

#53..atm said...They hate the British because we have fought wars against each other for over 800 years. That animosity is separate to the World Wars.(WWI and WWII)

#60.. I quoted Churchill...Churchill said...On this day in 1943, British prime minister Churchill tells an audience that French general de Gaulle dislikes his allies because "England...has helped France. He cannot bear to think she needed help."

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/827963/posts

Gun thread

#53..I said...I think DeGaulle was embarassed and embittered that the U.S. and Brits had to liberate his country after Hitler crushed them. He could never admit or come to terms that the great French empire was a piece of crap.

[edit] meaning they were finished [edit]

#53..atm said...It's all very easy to sit a thousand miles away and label the French cowards

[edit] I never said "cowards"[edit]

#53..atm said...The reason the French don't like the Americans is because despite what they lived through, and the sacrifice of almost all French males between 16 and 40 twice in a century, the Americans still generally label them cowards.

[edit]this (cowards) is patently untrue, at least as far as I've seen [edit]

#53..atm said...You can hate the French all you like, but to be frank, without the defence they put up you would be living in the Third Reich. That's the simple truth.

[edit] "hate", putting words in my mouth.

#62..I said...2nd, I know plenty about WWII as well as WWI.

#62..atm said...Gosh, I am bowled over with those credentials.

[edit] no real reason to say that, non contributory.

#62..I said...Don't stuff words in my mouth that I never said, like..."cowards" & "hate".

#62..atm said...And I never said you did,

#53..atm said...You can hate the French all you like.

#59..atm said...It's all very easy to sit a thousand miles away and label the French cowards.

Gun thread

#62..atm said...the Americans still generally label them cowards."". ...

#62..I said...That's wrong. (IMO)

#62..atm said...Well, as you have said before, you do...

[edit] of course, I never said it "before"[edit]

#62..I said...Ist of all, I don't see how most of your post relates to why the French dislike the Americans.

[edit] my original comment on #46 [edit]

#62..atm said...It's fairly clear. I used English, in sentences, with no ellipses. Denial is not rebuttal.

[edit] what was clear, was that he twisted the discussion to make it look like I "hated" the french [edit]

#62..atm said...I don't think belittling the loss of so many men in any way justifies your opinion.

#46..I said...France (in my opinion) has never been friendly toward the U.S....This goes back to Charles DeGaulle. I think DeGaulle was embarassed and embittered that the U.S. and Brits had to liberate his country after Hitler crushed them.

[edit] I did not "belittle" anyone[edit]

#62..I said...Anyway, I gave my reasons for why I think the French dislike us, your reason was weak

#62..atm said...No, you just didn't agree with it. But it's halted your French bashing, which was the point. You can continue being nationalistic about other subjects now.

[edit]Agree with what?, he didn't give me any reasons..[edit]

#62..atm said...The worst the US suffered was Pearl Harbor and Midway, "...........

#62..I said...has nothing to do with the topic.....though I might add that the war in the Pacific was brutal.

#62..atm said...The war in the Pacific was as nothing compared with the Somme.

[edit] he ignored that I had said "has nothing to do with the topic"

[edit] Post #66 was generally a collage of random insults, laced with sarcasm.[edit]

End of "gun" thread, But, I still MAY have more....dunno

Oh, I'm supposed to apologize for calling the French cowards????

Having separated these posts and read through it again' date=' I can see how "There will be no throat-jamming" could be seen as admonishing, although it was not intended to be interpreted in that way.

I agree then that arguing on that is completely unnecessary.

[edit']

Ah yes, the 83ness. Sorry I ought to have gone back and changed that. Yes, it would be post #14 here.

Note that I did not say you would or should be banned.

Ok, I was prepared to make more comments on the above, but I'm willing to drop the whole thing.

I didn't want to respond to atm's comments, but felt I was pressured to do so.....with the threat of (loosely translated) confess your sins or resign

I don't want to unnecessarily prolong this debacle' date=' but I have to wonder what you are hoping to achieve.

You made comments that were - if not overtly, then at least indirectly - of a nature that targetted a particular people..[/quote']

Sayonara, a quick comment, perhaps more directed at atm. I don't "insinuate", I don't "imply", I tell it as I see it. No reading between the lines.

I think I've shown that I did not say, insinuate or imply that the French were cowards.

Sayonara' date=' a quick comment, perhaps more directed at atm. I don't "insinuate", I don't "imply", I tell it as I see it. No reading between the lines.

I think I've shown that I did not say, insinuate or imply that the French were cowards.[/quote']

Well, while I have the admin hat on with respect to the Douglas vs Atinymonkey fisticuffs, I don't feel that I can go off looking for reasons to dispute that without introducing bias into the equation. So I'll leave it for atm (or anyone else, I suppose) to dispute.

Righto' date=' I will move this thread out of the public view shortly after I am sure you have seen this post.

It might be beneficial to include some sort of gesture that acknowledges the way in which your France comments were received, because it is fairly obvious that you weren't just putting random words together for a laugh.

It's not particularly important that you reply to my comments. It might not look like it but I am trying very hard to be the voice of reason here.

My only interest in the issue is in preventing the Krakatoa of all slander fests from gaining power. Since I spend a lot of time in France I'm not really interested in what random internet person #63412 thinks or doesn't think of them, so please don't take this intervention as being a value judgement re: your original comments on France.[/quote']

Sayonara, you have given good advice and I appreciate that.

Yes, I will say that atm could have construed my comment about the French army being crap, as disliking the French. I should not have worded it that way.