dust and gas around black holes

36grit

Is it possible, or are there any theories that might suggest that the gas and dust surrounding large black holes might have been created by the matrix of energy fluxuations, accelerations, and particle collisions surrounding the event horizon of the black hole. Instead of being left over from the Nova, or past "meals" of the entity?

Is it possible, or are there any theories that might suggest that the gas and dust surrounding large black holes might have been created by the matrix of energy fluxuations, accelerations, and particle collisions surrounding the event horizon of the black hole. Instead of being left over from the Nova, or past "meals" of the entity?

I am sure such a theory could be devised if anyone could figure out what "the matrix of energy fluxuations, accelerations, and particle collisions surrounding the event horizon of the black hole" means.

You might Google "acretion disk".

Edited by DrRocket

Heh, you got me there doc. Surley it takes a lot of energy to bend space/time into a hole. To inhale a huge star should also release a lot of energy.

If the sun can be thought of, in some respect, an extreme particle accelerator. And to think that we build particle accelerators in an attempt to to reproduce conditions sililar to those that caused the big bang. Then one might deduce that a galactic black hole must be the ultimate particle accelerator.

I don't think it's a far stretch of the imagination to think that conditions may well exist, in some proximaty of the event horizon, of these strange things that may well produce quarks, electrons, gas, and perhaps even dust, water, and microbial forms of life.

It wouldn't surprise me if we learned in the near future that all the mass and energy in galaxies came from their galactic black holes.

If the sun can be thought of, in some respect, an extreme particle accelerator. And to think that we build particle accelerators in an attempt to to reproduce conditions sililar to those that caused the big bang. Then one might deduce that a galactic black hole must be the ultimate particle accelerator.

Right, but particles in an accelerator are specifically designed to smash into other particles so we can measure the effects of the collision.

There is no specific intent for a black hole. Any particle accelerated to it will simply speed past the event horizon and to the BH core. Any collisions that happen to occur after that point will be trapped inside the horizon.

Heh, you got me there doc. Surley it takes a lot of energy to bend space/time into a hole. To inhale a huge star should also release a lot of energy.

I don't think it's a far stretch of the imagination to think that conditions may well exist, in some proximaty of the event horizon, of these strange things that may well produce quarks, electrons, gas, and perhaps even dust, water, and microbial forms of life.

It wouldn't surprise me if we learned in the near future that all the mass and energy in galaxies came from their galactic black holes.

Partical accelerators are not an attempt to "reproduce conditions sililar to those that caused the big bang". They are simply an attempt to investigate the interaction of elementary particles at high energy. That is a LONG way from big bang conditions. "Cause of the big bang" is an oxymoron in our current best theory.

Black holes, so far as is understood, are in now way analogs of particle accelerators. It is a GIGANTIC stretch of the imagination -- a hallucination -- to think otherwise.

Maybe you won't be surprised, but you should be astounded, if all the m,ass and energy of the universe came from black holes.

maybe because the particles may be ripped apart from the gravity of the black hole