Diamagnetism and Paramagnetism

logearav

Revered Members,

Please see me my attachment. They are given in my textbook to depict paramagnetism and diamagnetism.

When paramagnetic substances are placed in non uniform magnetic field, they have a tendency to move from weaker to stronger partpost-58372-0-34273500-1321564235_thumb.jpg

Similarly, when diamagnetic substances are placed in non uniform magnetic field, they have a tendency to move from stronger to weaker part.

Magnetic field is stronger at poles and become weaker when we move farther away from poles. But the diagram of diamagnetism shows that the liquid is bending towards the poles, that is stronger part of magnetic field which goes contrary against the property of diamagnetism. I feel the diagram is wrong. Am I correct?post-58372-0-77765700-1321564218_thumb.jpg

Personally, I believe your question is genuine.

I think that the first diagram matches the first concept and vice versa.

The second picture, as you suggested, shows the liquid being aligned in the direction of the field, rather than being repelled by it.

But, when I took a closer look, I felt that the first figure showed repulsion of the liquid.

Well, that is what i think, but I'm not sure. Well, it could be an error, always.

Can't decide completely, with my intellect.