Urgent Science Project Help!

pachecos13

Hello everyone!

I'm new here obviously, and I need a ton of help with my science project! My experiment design is due on Monday. I need help because a lot of the information is hard to find on the internet. If you can help me find it too, that'll be great!

So my fundamental science project question is: Can tide detergent (or bleach?) remove sharpie from clothes? Why or why not? How?

I talked to my chemistry teacher and she wants a lot more information on the chemical analysis/make up of the marker and detergent. She said my experiment is very elementary and doesn't have a lot of chemistry involved to make it more complex. On my first draft, I just put the fact that the marker is on the fabric and testing it with different detergents. It's basic I know. So do you think you can help me with adding more chemistry to my project?

Questions: Do you think I should use 3 types of fabrics or 1 type of fabric?

Do you think I should use detergent or bleach? If so, how many brands? One?

Can you help me with why the detergent/bleach removes the marker?

Can you help me with how it does this (deep into the chemistry; breaking bonds and such)?

Can you help me with the chemical analysis of the bleach/detergent?

Can you help me with the chemical analysis of the marker?

How do the chemicals/chemistry of the detergent affect each other so it cleans the mark?

BASICALLY, I just need to add more chemistry analysis into my project and figure out how many of each material (detergent/fabric) I should use. PLEASE HELP. I need answers by Sunday, January 18th.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! REALLY!

I've decided. I'm going to use one Sharpie black marker on three different types of fabrics. I'm still debating between detergent or bleach.

I'm just not sure why/how the mark is eliminated from the fabric.

Are there any MSDS for detergents?