Culture Wars?

Moontanman

If there is a culture war, and I think there is, who attacking whom? Here are a couple of videos portraying some of what has gone on this Christmas here in the US... Also this is for some of you who do not live in the US and cannot comprehend the news organizations being less than honest, several examples of this dishonesty is shown in these videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTqZ4ucH144

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_qAR1Zx3Ng

I wasn't sure if this belonged in the religious forum or not, if it does feel free to move it.

If there is a culture war, and I think there is, who attacking whom?

I'd stipulate without pause that both sides level attacks against the other. A question that interests me a bit more is whether or not there is a difference in the scale, scope, and frequency of these attacks and whether one side does better than the other overall "on balance" arguing with logic, reason, and evidence at their side.

I'd stipulate without pause that both sides level attacks against the other. A question that interests me a bit more is whether or not there is a difference in the scale, scope, and frequency of these attacks and whether one side does better than the other overall "on balance" arguing with logic, reason, and evidence at their side.

First of all I have to admit to a real bias here, extreme bias to be honest, but having said that I cannot see how the Christian right can claim that they are somehow loosing the war on religion or even that is a war. They make up a false war, use false propaganda to influence people and as was pointed out in one of the videos act like overly privileged children who have realized they are not the center of the universe and react by kicking and screaming it's not fair they can't continue to be the over indulged brats they are.

They use this idea of a war on religion (read Christians) to falsely claim all sorts of nonsense to inflame the masses and make them think godless heathens are going around doing their best to bring down what they call a Christian Nation, making willfully stupid claims about nearly everything, the Rick Perry ad panders to this idea of Christians being persecuted by non Christians. It's a lie and all they have to experience to justify this idea is someone who doesn't believe the way they do, they go bat this crazy and claim that anyone who doesn't agree with them is somehow aggressively persecuting them.

Yes, there is a culture war and much like the Iraq war it is composed of lies, fears, and people who use these ideas to induce people to rally around a false cause, there are no WMD's in the atheist arsenals... No matter how many "good" Christian people claim it's true... Pat Robertson included....

Guest ricardonest

I think these wars usually end up starting because no one really takes the time to understand another person's culture. Plus, propaganda comes into play as well as a perpetuation of misguidance by your parents or the people of your community.

I think these wars usually end up starting because no one really takes the time to understand another person's culture. Plus, propaganda comes into play as well as a perpetuation of misguidance by your parents or the people of your community.

I don't think the fundamentalist theists who are screaming they are under attack from secularism fail to understand the culture, in fact they completely understand and know how best to manipulate people into a frenzy to gain power for themselves...

I don't think the fundamentalist theists who are screaming they are under attack from secularism fail to understand the culture, in fact they completely understand and know how best to manipulate people into a frenzy to gain power for themselves...

Do you think it is the fundamentalists who are manipulating people by claiming the war on Christianity, or is it the politicians? It looks to me like the fundamentalists are usually preaching to their own, and it's the politicians who are doing the manipulating.

While I believe the following trend is not due to a war on Christianity, this may explain in part why some Christians feel like they are in the hot seat.

Christianity is the largest and most popular religion in the United States, with around 77% of those polled identifying themselves as Christian, as of 2009.[1][2][3] This is down from 86% in 1990, and slightly lower than 78.6% in 2001

I also think this is kind of funny. Lying about being devout. Heh heh.

Gallup International indicates that 41%[41] of American citizens report they regularly attend religious services, compared to 15% of French citizens, 10% of UK citizens,[42] and 7.5% of Australian citizens.[43]

However, these numbers are open to dispute. ReligiousTolerance.org states:

"Church attendance data in the U.S. has been checked against actual values using two different techniques. The true figures show that only about 21% of Americans and 10% of Canadians actually go to church one or more times a week. Many Americans and Canadians tell pollsters that they have gone to church even though they have not. Whether this happens in other countries, with different cultures, is difficult to predict."[41]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_the_United_States