splitting a proton for useable energy

we all know that when you split an atom a huge amount of energy radiates outward, like in a nuclear bomb. These energies include heat, light, xrays, and who knows what else. What I'm wondering is: If you split a proton is there a similar reaction? What energies are released?

and, If one built a machine that could split protons that exist in cosmic rays, could we somehow harness the energy and transform it into useable electric current?

we all know that when you split an atom a huge amount of energy radiates outward, like in a nuclear bomb. These energies include heat, light, xrays, and who knows what else. What I'm wondering is: If you split a proton is there a similar reaction? What energies are released?

and, If one built a machine that could split protons that exist in cosmic rays, could we somehow harness the energy and transform it into useable electric current?

You can only get energy from splitting the atoms of certain elements, namely those heavier than Iron. Lighter elements require a net input of energy to split. The proton is more like the lighter atoms, splitting one would take energy, not release it.

To add to what Janus said: you need an available lower-energy state in order to release energy, and one is not available with a proton.

Can't you pull out one of the quarks if you add enough energy to make it a partner?

Can't you pull out one of the quarks if you add enough energy to make it a partner?

You'd have to make a quark and an antiquark, so you'd spit out a meson, but the key (in context of the thread) is that it requires adding energy.

You'd have to make a quark and an antiquark, so you'd spit out a meson, but the key (in context of the thread) is that it requires adding energy.

I thought that I implied it would take more energy, but upon second reading and viewing the context, I can see how I should have made that more clear. I did know that it would take more energy than would be released, but I didn't know you had to add enough to create a pair. I thought you just had to add enough to make one more quark to pull one out of the proton. Thanks for the clarification. Is there a way to make specific mesons, or is it essentially random?

I thought that I implied it would take more energy, but upon second reading and viewing the context, I can see how I should have made that more clear. I did know that it would take more energy than would be released, but I didn't know you had to add enough to create a pair. I thought you just had to add enough to make one more quark to pull one out of the proton. Thanks for the clarification. Is there a way to make specific mesons, or is it essentially random?

The energy of the collision must give you some control, since the mass of mesons depends on it — there are particles you can't get if the energy isn't high enough. Beyond that, I don't know.