Only steps away from the Void

I'm not really sure how to word this. It may come off sounding like "captain obvious" or it may be full of scientific holes. But I was just thinking the other day about "reality" and what "is". What we know here on earth is material - we've got tangible things to touch. We can move our hand through the air and feel the resistance. We can hear sound. We sense being glued to the earth. We can feel water, and eat food, and see sunlight. All because what we have around us, has "Substance". The atmosphere is dense with air pressure and microscopic objects which create that resistance when we move (wind). We can hear because sound has physical substance to travel from one place to another on. We see sunlight because there's something there to reflect it.

Existing is - here on earth. This is reality. This is "existing".

And space? Is nothingness. Its not just "outside our atmosphere" and another place. It literally is - the void. You leave earth and .... not very far away, you've left existence. Everything we know to give substance to everything we can experience - is gone there. There is no sound. There is no sunlight unless it hits something. And theres nothing for it to hit so if you face away from the sun, you dont see sun going beyond you. You see utter darkness. Void. Go high enough and you leave "existence".

I never really thought about space like this. That its basically nothingness. I know there are a few stray atoms floating around out there, but its about as close to non-existence as you can get. Sure you can go up there in a space suit, that has "earths environment" recreated inside it. You go up in a bubble. But you can't go out there bare naked.

Again this may sound obvious to most of you. But viewing space as the "place that has absolutely no creation" ... the actual void .... is very surreal for me. I think most people view the "void" as whats beyond our universe. I think its right above our heads. And when space travel really takes off, we will start to appreciate the nothingness a lot more. Because "existence" ... life .... whatever God gave us ... is right here. Earth ... this gorgeous blue marble .... is where life really is. And if there are others like it, thats where life, and existence will be too. But in between? You are outside creation. Just a step away.

-PB-

So-called empty space contains the non-zero Higgs field, and other fields like gravity and electromagnetism. There are also virtual particles popping in and out of existance. And so-called dark energy, whatever that is. Etc. So space is hardly a void.

Understood. As I mentioned, I know there are some particles. But for the most part, how can we not say its pretty close to a void?

Do you actually picture space as just another place? I suppose the argument could be made that it is. Because of the sporadic particles.

And gravity fields, etc.

So your opinion is that we would need to actually find the edge of the universe, and step outside it, to experience void.

Or whatever is past it ...

I still say that when your existence and everything you know is based on the sensory experiences underneath this thin layer called an atmosphere .... going outside of it is pretty damn close to a void.