entropy of an adiabatic expansion?

Chap

If an ideal gas undergoes a reversible adiabatic expansion, then the entropy change would be zero, since reversible heat exchange is zero.

What happens if the gas undergoes an irreversible adiabatic expansion? I know, since its irreversible, the entropy should increase, but my undergraduate chemistry course book argues that since entropy is a thermodynamic function, it doesn't depend on the path; so should be equal to the reversible one: zero?

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks!

If an ideal gas undergoes a reversible adiabatic expansion, then the entropy change would be zero, since reversible heat exchange is zero.

What happens if the gas undergoes an irreversible adiabatic expansion? I know, since its irreversible, the entropy should increase, but my undergraduate chemistry course book argues that since entropy is a thermodynamic function, it doesn't depend on the path; so should be equal to the reversible one: zero?

Thanks!

While the change in entropy does not depend on the path it most certainly does depend on the end points of the path (independence of path is a statement about paths in state space with the same end points).

In an irreversible process energy is being lost somewhere or added to the system from an external source and the end points of the path will not both coincide with those of a reversible process.

Thanks!

A thermodynamic function CAN depend on path. A thermodynamic state function does not depend on path by definition.