nucleophilic substitution

nitelyechos

i understand the halogen is substituted by the nucleophile (CH3O-) in most cases but how do i tell which is the exception?

problem: R-X + CH3O- rarrow.gif CH3OR + X-

which haloalkane would not undergo the reaction above?

CH2=CH-CH2-Br

CH3Cl

CH2=CH-I

CH3CH2Br

CH3CH2CH2Cl

as for as i understand in each case the haloalkane would follow the formula

R-X + CH3O- rarrow.gif CH3OR + X-

i dont know how any of the haloalkanes in the list would give any products accept CH3OR + X-, but i do believe that if one of the haloalkanes is an exception to this formula it would be because of the halogen. the halogen would reform with CH3O- and give a product like CH3OX + R or something crazy like that. so am i right that i just need to focus on the halogens? if so my money is on CH2=CH-I since its the only haloalkane listed with iodide.

In fact, because the atomic radii of iodine is so large, iodide - carbon bonds are more labile and therefore tend to be much more reactive than corresponding chlorides or bromides; substitution not only occurs but occurs at a much faster rates where X = I.

I will tell you that it isn't to do with the halide. Have another look at your substrates and draw the reaction product (and the mechanism). Look at the reacting carbon centres and see if you can you pick any substrate in there that looks out of place.

I will tell you that it isn't to do with the halide. Have another look at your substrates and draw the reaction product (and the mechanism). Look at the reacting carbon centres and see if you can you pick any substrate in there that looks out of place.

To the OP in addition to the above:

Let me add that you should find the substrate that has different electronics around the carbon atom attached to the leaving group. I hope this isn't too much of a hint.

Remember that traditional SN1 and SN2 reactions need to happen at carbons with a certain geometry and a certain electronic structure. If I told you what that electronic structure and geometry were it would give away the answer.