HELP: someone stole my hotmail password!

ted_marx

All, thinking I might be victim of an Inet scam -- inbox items from my account on hotmail appear to have been read before I got to them. I'm curious: obviously it would be easy for anyone anywhere in the world to go to hotmail.com, enter an accurate username and then try to guess the password. I know the server locks one out after so many attempts (yes, I'm old and feeble enough where I sometimes forget my own pw so I speak from experience!). Is it possible for the wizards at hotmail to provide me with the IP of anyone who's tried to get into my screenname/acct? (Have tried email to them but no joy over the weekend, thought someone of an Internet background might know!!)

Thanks,

Ted

i doubt that hotmail will treat is seriously.

just change your password and dont make it obvious. when in public places select the 'dont remember me' box. clear cookies if you do. check your computer for malware just in case.

(its all basic keeping your password safe things)

hotmail could recover the IP of the user however this is how they would do it.

every user that logs on accesses the hotmail server. presumably that would be logged. so if they went through every single user who logged onto their account to find yours and so on... even then they could have been using a public computer or a proxy server.

basically you could easily hide your IP from the server and hotmail wouldnt go through all the trouble just for one user because thats what big corporate companies are like.

sure report it, but i doubt they will do much.