Model Rocketry

slickinfinit

I have always been interested with space n rockets, I've been building model ones and even built some from the ground up. I still have alot of problems and if any other forum users are into this hobby let me know what u use to make and launch with. I am trying to find a cheap realiable solid propellant that is easy to make and safe to use any help would be appreciated.I am lookin to launch at least 5000 meters.

I have always been interested with space n rockets, I've been building model ones and even built some from the ground up. I still have alot of problems and if any other forum users are into this hobby let me know what u use to make and launch with. I am trying to find a cheap realiable solid propellant that is easy to make and safe to use any help would be appreciated.I am lookin to launch at least 5000 meters.

"I am trying to find a cheap realiable solid propellant that is easy to make and safe to use any help would be appreciated."

I'm looking for the same thing too. It's like the Holy Grail or something. :) Guess those KNO3 + carbon rockets won't get you to the 5000m you are aiming at. :) Even 2km or so would be sufficient for me. :>

"I am trying to find a cheap realiable solid propellant that is easy to make and safe to use any help would be appreciated."

I'm looking for the same thing too. It's like the Holy Grail or something. :) Guess those KNO3 + carbon rockets won't get you to the 5000m you are aiming at. :) Even 2km or so would be sufficient for me. :>

I'm working towards the same goal. After chrismas I'll have the equipment to safely test different propellent grains. I hear the best bang for the buck is KNO3 with either dextrose, sucrose, or sorbitol. My goal is 5,280 feet, and then 10,560 feet.

I can tell you right now though that you probably won't break 5,000 meters without some sort of hybrid motor. You're not likely to find a solid propellent which will perform that well.

I'm working towards the same goal. After chrismas I'll have the equipment to safely test different propellent grains. I hear the best bang for the buck is KNO3 with either dextrose, sucrose, or sorbitol. My goal is 5,280 feet, and then 10,560 feet.

I can tell you right now though that you probably won't break 5,000 meters without some sort of hybrid motor. You're not likely to find a solid propellent which will perform that well.

"I hear the best bang for the buck is KNO3 with either dextrose, sucrose, or sorbitol."

Hmmh. Doesn't the H2O generated put brakes to the reaction, so isn't just carbon powder better?

"My goal is 5,280 feet, and then 10,560 feet."

Remember - getting your rocket to 5,280 feet during a hurricane is cheating! :)

"I hear the best bang for the buck is KNO3 with either dextrose, sucrose, or sorbitol."

Hmmh. Doesn't the H2O generated put brakes to the reaction, so isn't just carbon powder better?

"My goal is 5,280 feet, and then 10,560 feet."

Remember - getting your rocket to 5,280 feet during a hurricane is cheating! :)

I've always been interested in this stuff too. What's the best way to get started? Did you guys look for some kind of club around town, or just pick up a model rocket kit? Or (preferably) is there some way just to build one from scratch?

I got started as a kid building Estes rocket kits. They were easy to build and the motors are relatively inexpensive. These are "low power" model rockets. I recommend building and launching at least one or two estes kits before you jump into mid-power rockets. That way you get the hang of what's happening and what's required of a rocket. Estes kits are also a real cheap way to experiment with different modifications. You don't want to modify your hundred-dollar rocket and then watch it do loops in the air and smash into the ground.

The real fun is with mid-powers because you can start flying electronics on board (such as cameras, etc, although my first rocket cam was considered low power). Most people start out with a mid-power kit, and then start designing their own after getting the hang of mid-power flights.

Check out this page: http://www.info-central.org/index.cgi?welcome

I'm not going to join any clubs. Since there aren't any here. And I'm not going to buy any kits. Since there aren't any available here. No other option than to make one from scratch. :P And getting jailed after it crashes into someone's roof.

lol I learned from trail and alot of error and found the small estes kits are very good for starters 5000 meters is a dream goal but any high altitude over 2500 feet is a good flight and the triple camanche rocket kit from estes is a awsome multi-stage rocket that I found very fun to fly and I believe they are still on the market, some country's do have laws and do not sell these kits which I think is unforunate because this hobby realy makes u think and to watch your creation soar high up always puts a smile on my face lol. Blike u sound smart could u try to figure out how much KNO3/C and how big I should make the shell ? I am not good at that kind of math yet lol.