Let's talk universe

Hello all. New user, novice thinker. I searched the forums but didn't see any relevant response - apologies if this is redundant. Everyone knows that the universe is expanding. But, to where is it expanding? Doesn't the mere fact that it's expanding indicate that there is something on the other side of the expansion? I'm thinking of it like an expanding balloon, pushing the air away as it expands. Also, using the balloon analogy (maybe that's where I'm mistaken), a balloon expands because it fills with air. So if the universe is expanding, with what is it expanding? Thanks for your input.

What if it just appears to be expanding because every single component of the universe is shrinking at an equal rate... so it just "looks" like things are receding from each other...

I wish I could answer that, but I simply don't know. Maybe someone else can chime in and offer some insight.

I don't know either. That's the fun part. :)

I was just providing an answer off the top of my head. You asked, "What is the universe expanding into?" I was simply showing you that maybe it's not expanding into anything. There are other explanations possible. Mine may not be the right one, but it demonstrates that you should be careful not too think so narrowly about such big questions.

Explore your curiosity. It only gets better the more you learn.

"...the universe is expanding. But, to where is it expanding? Doesn't the mere fact that it's expanding indicate that there is something on the other side of the expansion? I'm thinking of it like an expanding balloon, pushing the air away as it expands. Also, using the balloon analogy (maybe that's where I'm mistaken), a balloon expands because it fills with air. So if the universe is expanding, with what is it expanding? Thanks for your input.

The universe is expanding into space.

Space is on the other side of the expansion. Others say there is no other side of the expansion, since all of space is expanding.

The universe is not pushing air away as it expands. It does not need to push anything out of the way. Whatever exists grows less dense over time. Expansion is only measured between superclusters of galaxies. Within the supercluster all matter is bound together by gravity.

The universe is expanding WITH SPACE.

Those are my best guesses at this time.

Edited by Airbrush