Stereochem.

Harshvardhan

® 2-chloro- 2,3-dimethylpntane is monochlorinated to give C7H14Cl2 . Can anyone tell me how many optically inactive compounds\isomers will be formed and their structures with their rs designation?

Edited by Harshvardhan

If you would please show your attempts at finding the answer, then I or some of our other chemistry people would be glad to give a suggestion.

It's hard for me to give a hint outright as this is really a question that is easily solved if you understand the R/S system and what constitutes an optically active compund.

Do you understand these definitions?

addition of a chlorine can either generate another chiral centre , remove the existing one or generate no chiral centre . in the firsrt case we can get a mesomer with two chiral centres that will be opticaly inactive , and i could not get any isomer fitting the second case Remember that fractional distillation can separate diastereomers , other compounds from 1 2 3 cases will be optically active bcoz we will not get a racemic mixture as the starting compound is optically pure. so basically problem reduces to finding any mesomer or compond with 0 chiral centres from the monochlorination of ®-2-chloro-2,3_dimethylpentane . but my morrison boyd book says that 1 optically inactive fraction will be obtained . pls help