Book recommendations to increase my basic knowledge of Chemistry and physics please!

Dances with Clouds

My inquisitive nature gripped me when I read a brief history of time some years ago, since then I've read some of the other brilliant Stephen Hawking books. I've also enjoyed, How to build a time Machine, by Paul Davis, Why does E=MC2 by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw and although, in places, I've had to re-read or cross reference, I've learnt so much, with each book exciting my interest further!

A brief history of me!

Regrettably for me, I found little of interest during my school years, I did not realise my enjoyment of the practical 'Newtonian' sciences or my intrigue of the Sub atomic, I underachieved at school, which included been placed in combined CSE Science (much like the current GCSE BETEC science I guess). To compensate, I've certainly had to put so much more effort into achieving to match my colleagues in my professional life (that bit I don't regret!).

Please recommend an interesting book to build my basic knowledge of Chemistry and physics!

After reading about the recent excitement and discovery of possible evidence of the Higgs boson, and having just read and enjoyed: The Grand Design, by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow, I've come to the realisation that I have a gap in my basic knowledge of Chemistry and physics! For instance, as I enthusiastically read through the Grand Design, I realised I need educating! i.e.: chemical elements, how do we go back, or perhaps to be more appropriate forwards, to form / produce, from for instance the primordial universe/ primordial elements more complex elements. The Grand Design touches on the subject, i.e. "two Hydrogen Nuclei collide and fuse with each other" to produce helium "two helium atoms can in turn collide to form Beryllium" etc.

I hope I've made sense! I feel one of you guy's, after having read this will say he needs to read ………..!

My inquisitive nature gripped me when I read a brief history of time some years ago, since then I've read some of the other brilliant Stephen Hawking books. I've also enjoyed, How to build a time Machine, by Paul Davis, Why does E=MC2 by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw and although, in places, I've had to re-read or cross reference, I've learnt so much, with each book exciting my interest further!

A brief history of me!

Regrettably for me, I found little of interest during my school years, I did not realise my enjoyment of the practical 'Newtonian' sciences or my intrigue of the Sub atomic, I underachieved at school, which included been placed in combined CSE Science (much like the current GCSE BETEC science I guess). To compensate, I've certainly had to put so much more effort into achieving to match my colleagues in my professional life (that bit I don't regret!).

Please recommend an interesting book to build my basic knowledge of Chemistry and physics!

After reading about the recent excitement and discovery of possible evidence of the Higgs boson, and having just read and enjoyed: The Grand Design, by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow, I've come to the realisation that I have a gap in my basic knowledge of Chemistry and physics! For instance, as I enthusiastically read through the Grand Design, I realised I need educating! i.e.: chemical elements, how do we go back, or perhaps to be more appropriate forwards, to form / produce, from for instance the primordial universe/ primordial elements more complex elements. The Grand Design touches on the subject, i.e. "two Hydrogen Nuclei collide and fuse with each other" to produce helium "two helium atoms can in turn collide to form Beryllium" etc.

I hope I've made sense! I feel one of you guy's, after having read this will say he needs to read ………..!

I think that there are not popular textbooks regarding chemistry. Maybe Chemistry for Everyone: A Helpful Primer for High School or College Chemistry by Suzanne Lahl and Cris Qualiana is what you are searching but I do not know for sure.

Regarding physics, try Feynman's popular book Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics.

If you want to obtain a picture of some modern advances in physics and chemistry not covered in any of the above titles. I recommend you The End of Certainty by Ilya Prigogine.

Edited by juanrga

I think that there are not popular textbooks regarding chemistry. Maybe Chemistry for Everyone: A Helpful Primer for High School or College Chemistry by Suzanne Lahl and Cris Qualiana is what you are searching but I do not know for sure.

Regarding physics, try Feynman's popular book Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics.

If you want to obtain a picture of some modern advances in physics and chemistry not covered in any of the above titles. I recommend you The End of Certainty by Ilya Prigogine.

Hi Juanrga

Thank you for your time and kind reply.

I think you have hit the nail on the head!

I have just read thereviews of your book recommendations, they sound perfect! I'm going to order " Chemistryfor Everyone: A Helpful Primer for HighSchool or College Chemistry by Suzanne Lahl and Cris Qualiana" and "Six EasyPieces: Fundamentals of Physics Explained, by, Richard P. Feynman"

Just confirm your recommendation is Six Easy Pieces:Fundamentals (rather than Essentials)……………….

Wishing you a fun weekend.

Hi Juanrga

Thank you for your time and kind reply.

I think you have hit the nail on the head!

I have just read thereviews of your book recommendations, they sound perfect! I'm going to order " Chemistryfor Everyone: A Helpful Primer for HighSchool or College Chemistry by Suzanne Lahl and Cris Qualiana" and "Six EasyPieces: Fundamentals of Physics Explained, by, Richard P. Feynman"

Just confirm your recommendation is Six Easy Pieces:Fundamentals (rather than Essentials)……………….

Wishing you a fun weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/Six-Easy-Pieces-Essentials-Brilliant/dp/0465023924

Good weekend also for you!

Re:

a) Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics. By: Richard P.Feynman. ISBN-10: 0465023924, ISBN-13: 978-0465023929

b)Six Easy Pieces: Fundamentals of Physics Explained, byRichard P. Feynman, ISBN-10: 0140276661, ISBN-13: 978-0140276664 ?).

I’ve just been able to establish / have received thefollowing from Waterstone book shop:

“The two Feynman titles you mention are, indeed, the samebook. The first version has no UK rights”

Thanks again Juanrga, when I’ve read them, I revisit for the next recommendation!:doh:

• 4 weeks later...