Big bang or big burp?

WHR

No oxygen yet for fire, matter too dense for sound waves. No photons yet for light.

When did it officially become a bang? If an observer were observing the phenomenon from a distance, what would he see, hear? would he just see a steady growing sphere that starts as a dim, almost invisible point, and grows to a larger dim sphere, then a larger still only slightly brighter sphere as photon creation prevails, then a pretty significant sized sphere with subatomic particles creating more matter, more occurrences of fussion, and this more photons and a brighter, larger sphere? How many seconds, minutes, or years have to pass before enough fussion reactions have occurred to trigger enough photons to qualify as a "bang" in the visible sense, and from a safe observational distance, will the sound waves ever reach you, even if the sphere of the universe eventually occupies the space within which you exist? I think it would be a big whimper in that context.

Of course one would argue that space itself, time itself, are dependent upon the event, thus no casual observer could witness it. To observe it, you would have to be within it. If this is the case, then what would the big bang look like from the observation point of someone along for the ride? We usually see it depicted as an animation drawn from the perspective of an outside observer. Hollywoodization or is the whole mess only a math problem instead of a realistic concept?

The growing sphere you are seeing is the universe. How did you get to be outside the universe ?? Are you God ( sorry don't mean to offend religious people ) ??

I don't think you got the point. Lol

There is no actual 'bang'. It was a term coined by Hoyle, a detractor of the theory.

The modern inflationary big bang theory has certain energy thresholds where particles are created according to their masses. Some aspects are unproven. An example being the use of GUT and axiom particles ( both un-proven ) to account for proton decay and the matter/ anti-matter asymmetry of the universe. But it is the best we have at the moment.

Incidentally, didn't you ever see the movie ALIEN ? "In space, no-one can hear you scream". They can't hear a 'bang' either.

Sound waves are just compression/rarefaction of the medium that carries them. I don't really know what that medium ( depending on the temperature ) would do to your eardrums.

Edited by MigL

Sorry, my bad, on re-reading my post noticed a huge mistake.

The axiom particles I mentioned are not the ones I meant (way too many particles to keep track of ).

In the 90s, when I was very interested in this stuff, there was mention in literature ( internet was just taking off ) of an X particle. A massive particle og 10^15 GeV, predicted by GUTs as a mediator between quarks in the decay of a proton or neutron ( or their antiparticles ) into a lepton and a meson, to account for proton decay.

These X particles are unlikely to ever be found, even with our largest collider, but in the early universe at a time of 10^-30 sec, the average temp of the universe was 10^28 deg,and sufficient energy was available for their creation.

The peculiar trait that they had was that decay for particles and antiparticles was not necessarily symmetric and so may account for the matter dominated present universe and lack of much antimatter.

This was speculative and may be totally discredited now, but I mentioned it because it illustrates how particles are created when a threshold energy is available, which is available at or above a certain temp, and that temp is only present for a period of tjme after t=0 as the universe expands and cools. In effect it wad a gradual creation, everything did not come into being at the same time. Lthough from our point of view, it happenes in a miniscule fraction of a second so it may as well have been a Bang.

• 2 months later...