Sesame seeds

Mr Rayon

Are sesame seeds healthy to eat?

What is the nutritional value of sesame seeds for humans and why are they so essential in balanced diet?

How have sesame seeds become so popular in so many different bread?

I find them a little bit tasteless but was just wondering what everybody here thinks...

I can think of 3 reasons:

1. It is good to eat a variety of foods. So, by putting some other seeds on bread, you add some nutritional value.

2. It looks nice.

3. It tastes nice.

I think that options #2 and #3 are gonna be a lot more important than #1.

Btw, sesame it is a very tough plant, which will grow on soils where not much else will grow (source: wikipedia). The use of arid land is considered quite important for all our futures.

As for the nutritional value: it's quite high in energy (as most seeds and nuts). Have a look at that wikipedia page for more info.

I like them for the calcium, manganese and copper content they represent, as well as being a great source of protein. The ones they put on bread are just dumb though, since seeds like that aren't digestible unless they're ground up pretty well. They're too small to be chewed whole, imo, and often end up just going through your system without benefit.

I don't think they give a satisfying enough crunch in whole form anyway, so they're best used as a garnish after you pulverize them a bit. I use them on salads and in oatmeal after a good crushing with a mortar and pestle.