Describing particular dependent and independent varibles

Genecks

I'm attempting to describe different aspects of variables in a paper.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1360865

Association Between Urinary Bisphenol A Concentration and Obesity Prevalence in Children and Adolescents

It listed different ranges of urinary bisphenol A, which I determined to be the independent variable. As such, I considered these different ranges, which there are four ranges described, to be four levels of the independent variable.

I'm having trouble identifying the dependent variable. I would be quick to say it's body mass outcome, because the paper attempts to limit other things as confounding variables. The paper states that it considers obesity to be the primary study outcome and being overweight as a secondary study outcome. In the table, it crosses each range of the independent variable against obesity and being overweight.

My main issue of considering body mass outcome as the dependent variable and the variables "overweight" and "obese" as levels of the dependent variables comes with the fact that the researchers tabulate "yes/no" options to both of those levels, so it's like there are sub-levels to the levels of the dependent variable. At least, I'm interpreting it that way. The p-values of the research were generated from a chi-square analysis.

post-3134-0-08341500-1348262662_thumb.jpg

Edited by Genecks