Electronic signalling in plants - less - invasive measurement methods ?

gustard33

Hi all,

apart from patch clamps and measuring the potential difference between he vacuole of a cell and outside the cell wall with electrodes - is there a way of measuring potential difference in plants in response to external stimuli ? Preferable non invasive or something that wont damage/kill cells - Id like to measure relatively rapid potential differences if such are present, ideally in the field without the need to take the plant to the lab - tall order I know !

cheers,

Augustine

• 2 weeks later...

I was just talking about this in another thread. An oscilloscope can read electrical impulses. Whether or not you would need to actually attach the plant to the oscilloscope, I don't know. Just a pin with some electrocardiogram gel would probably do.

The BK Precision 2125A has a sensitivity of 1mv at x5 (which is like zoom mode). To go beyond this you would need an amplifier circuit to hook the plant to. Amplifier circuity would probably be needed regardless. LED lights will strobe at high rates of speed.

I don't think, however, that photosynthesis, when it is correctly done, will produce a "current". The electron transfer is very controlled. The electron is never "free". There should still be a generalized effect on the potential of the plant and surroundings. So you would be measuring the environmental effect of photosynthetic power.

Trees seem to have an electrical process that occurs in the stems. Oak trees seem to be the strongest I have come by. The atmosphere builds up electrical potential which at times is released as lightning. It is to the advantage of trees to neutralize that energy build up before it becomes hazardous. Likewise it may be means of releasing atmospheric moisture. It may allow them to volatilize without altering internal chemistry.

It seems like there are discharges that occur. As if there was a build up and a release similar to a capacitor. That may be a hydrological phenomenon but I am not sure.