Is Creating and Deleting Computer Files compatible with Theories of Physics

Guest DS11com

Guest DS11com

This question has been lingering in my mind for quite some time now, does creating and deleting computer files disregard Theories of Physics of which state that matter cannot be created or discarded, but can only be transferred from one area to another.

creating and deleting files isnt same as creating and deleting matter. its just changing the properties of the matter in hard disc used to store data, so no matter is created or destroyed. (in this case its using magnetism me think, so change the polarity of the ferromagnetic elements in the harddisc palettes) [correct me if i am wrong]

"lol."

That was the best post I've seen all day! :) Although I've seen only a few posts today now that it's few minutes past midnight (GMT +2) as I'm writing this. :S

And about the data thing, bloodhound covered that pretty nicely. But bet you want an analogy? Oh yes, oh yes you do! Think of a bit as a room. If the lights aren't on, the room is a 0. If they are on, the room is a 1. So the computer checks the "rooms" to see if they're count as a 0 or a 1. No physics laws violated there, mate. Talking about bits, I find the atom-level data storing technology (or theory quite interesting): A neutral atom is a 0, a +1 atom is a 1. How cool is that. :)

(Sorry if +1 and neutral charge isn't going to be used in such technology, couldn't exactly remember what's going to get count as what :) )

"thats quantum computers gilded."

I know that, but I just can't remember what value of the atom is going to be used as 1 and what's going to be used as a 0. :I

Or if they're even going to make quark-computers and use up and down quarks as 0's and 1's. :P

spin isnt what you'd call spin if you were talking about a spin on a ball of something...

the spin of atoms is all to do with the angluar momentum.

For instance, the spin angular momentum of an electron, measured along any particular direction, can only take on the values +ℏ/2 or −ℏ/2 (where ℏ is Planck's constant divided by 2pi)

Other spin-half particles include neutrinos, protons, and neutrons.

"u ovbisouly know that the spin in this case isnt what we usually call spin."

If you mean "spin" in the aspect of just rotating, then yeah I know that the oh-so-famous quantum spin isn't exactly that kind of spinning. :)

Edit: Oh ok, 5614 covered it already. :)

"(where are physicists like Martin. Severtian, Swansot etc. when u need them)" -- bloodhound

3 minutes later! "Why?" -- swansont

===================

"If you mean "spin" in the aspect of just rotating, then yeah I know that the oh-so-famous quantum spin isn't exactly that kind of spinning. :)"

yup that's what i meant ;)

"That's Dr. FTL Swansont to you!"

You know, I'd imagine the t in the end of his nick comes from his first name, which is Tom, added to his last name which is Swanson. One might notice that this has been and still is quite a popular way of forming nicknames or shortened names. And at least his homepage and comics say Tom Swanson, so I think he knows a bit better. :))