New chemist

Theano

Hello everyone!!! I have just finished my Msc degree in chemical engineering, my thesis was in wastewater treatment and my Bsc degree was in Chemistry. I have just started sending cvs for positions in the Analytical chemistry field. I wanted to ask..is a phD necessary if you want to work as an Analyst in large or small company? And what are the prospects you think for a new chemist with zero working experience? Some advice it would be great!! Thank you!!

Hello everyone!!! I have just finished my Msc degree in chemical engineering, my thesis was in wastewater treatment ...

Let me guess, your thesis was totally sh*t? LOL

Welcome scienceforums.

There is an official thread to introduce yourself.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/51253-the-official-introduce-yourself-thread/

I wanted to ask..is a phD necessary if you want to work as an Analyst in large or small company? And what are the prospects you think for a new chemist with zero working experience? Some advice it would be great!! Thank you!!

This is outside of my field, but I expect it will differ depending on exactly what you want to do. As for work experience that is an issue for anyone who has finished any degree.

From what I have heard analyst with a PhD are less common. Job prospects are tricky, especially now. With no job experience it is best to get your foot into the door somehow. One thing is obviously to search for open positions, but that alone tends to have a relatively low success rate. Ideally collect some names of people in the companies you want to work for. Job fairs are an easy way to get face time (and collect contacts). Alternatively ask around if someone you knows someone in the biz that you could talk to.

In any case, try to get a (non-dead-end) entry level fast, with even a little bit of private sector experience you can increase you market value quite dramatically.