Booting error

Primarygun

Because many CMOS chips sold now are flashable.

you may remember me and JaKiri, (i think) were having a talk about BIOS viruses, maybe with the invention of flash-BIOSs came the 'BIOS-virus', surely a fixed or hardware CMOS chip used for the BIOS would be much more secure and safe, with the disad of not being able to upgrade it... but then, if your BIOS needs upgrading your mother board will prob need it more (as the motherboard comes with a BIOS (normally)) which makes the advantage of flash BIOSs not that great.

what i mean to say was why would one want a flash BIOS?

ads:

you could upgrade it

disads:

it could be wiped by a virus

you dont really need to upgrade your BIOS and when you buy a new motherboard it comes with a BIOS anyway, so you dont need to upgrade your current one.

what i mean to say was why would one want a flash BIOS?

To keep it current.

disads:

it could be wiped by a virus

No.

Unless you can think of a virus that can fish out a floppy from your box of obsolesence, write itself to it, stick it in the A: drive, reboot your computer, change your boot sequence to 1: Floppy, and then reboot again.

you dont really need to upgrade your BIOS and when you buy a new motherboard it comes with a BIOS anyway, so you dont need to upgrade your current one.

I don't think you'll find many people who are willing to shell out a couple of hundred dollars every few months when they can just download an update.

BTW, the "BIOS virus protection" you were talking about earlier is the capacity of the BIOS to operate a simple boot sector virus detection routine, it is not anything to do with protecting the BIOS itself.

BIOS is stored in [acr=Read Only Memory]ROM[/acr], which is why it needs to be flashed in order to change the content.

To protect from a "BIOS virus", all you have to do is disable flash writing when you aren't using it.

The only viruses that can write themselves to flashable devices (and it turns out they do actually exist) cannot affect NTFS or UNIX machines, only work with certain chipsets in particular configurations, and are extremely uncommon. There are none that have no identity description in the AV industry.

Citing these things as a reason to avoid flashable BIOS is no different to citing them as a reason not to have a computer.

• 2 weeks later...
what does keyboard not functional refer to ?

it is when the keyboard is not detected properly, normally a driver problem, or a lose wire... try rebooting, if that doesnt work then youve got a problem, i can go into more detail if you want... but im guessing this prob is fixed now as you havent asked again.