ATP from Aspartame and sugar

Hello house! Please i need to juxtapose the amount of ATP that will be produced or gained for one molecule of Apartame a diabetic patient takes instead of one molecule of sugar. It is part of my Mtech course work. Thanks

Edited by ciznet

Do you know anything about the classification of aminoacids as ketogenic versus glucogenic? If you don't, this will be a very difficult problem. However, I can suggest a starting point: What do you think will be the fate of the carbon skeletons of aspartate?

Yeah thanks! Aspartate will enter TCA cycle via oxaloacetate. Please i really want to know how many ATP it will yield after it enters and why?

Thanks

I don't know the exact number. Some oxaloacetate is simply a catalyst, as are all of the tricarboxylic and dicarboxylic acids of the TCA cycle (citrate, succinate, etc.). However, the way in which excess oxaloacetate could be consumed by the TCA cycle involves first converting it to phosphoenolpyruvate (PEP). Why don't you attempt a calculation based on that?