How to hack

HACKING IS ILLEGAL IN ALL COUNTRIES

however the above rule is not 100% true, for instance when if one were to have a home network where you owned ALL of the computers, network and hardware and everything attached to it you could legally hack that... why? because hacking is gaining unauthorised access to another computer, however if you own the other computer and you give yourself permission to do it! then it is not unauthorised and is therefore not hacking and is therefore not illegal.

I, after a few years, have now set up my own network with 3 computers, they are all owned by my family and myself. The computers are connected to each other but NOT the internet... it is an enclosed network where my family or I own all of it.

the 3 computers are:

XP - SP1

XP - SP2

(sp = service pack)

98 SE (SE = second edition)

two computers are running norton internet security (NIS) (incl norton AV 03) 2003 and the 3rd is running NIS 2005 (incl norton AV 05)

as you can download updates from the symantec site i will be able to transfer norton updates to the 3 computers via CDs... as with any programs i might need.

right... my question is how do i gain authorised access to another computer without knowing any passwords for that computer, remotely and without having to instal software that could put the computer doing the so called 'hacking' at risk?

by the way, the network all runs through a router (with a hardware firewall) which i might turn off and the XP comps have the windows firewall running.

No, hacking is not gaining unauthorised access to a computer. You are talking about cracking, which is a completely different thing.

If you can't do what you want to do on a network that you have control over, then it isn't set up properly. If you don't have complete admin rights to the computers on the network, then you should not be expected to fullfill the responsibilities that go with that role (i.e. making sure everyone has all the latest updates.)

hacker: One who uses programming skills to gain illegal access to a computer network or file.

cracking: One who makes unauthorized use of a computer, especially to tamper with data or programs

(thanks to yourdictionary.com)

ok... my mistake over the technicality of a word! sorry though, indeed i was wrong.

so what are you suggesting i do?

share the HDD and enable norton firewall to let me in... ok i can do that... just not remotely, remember i know how to set up a network with an admin computer that can see all... the whole point of this task/thread was to gain access without knowledge of the other computer's users and to do it all remotely, i do not know how to share a HDD and over-ride firewall settings remotely, do you know how i can do it?

[i']hacker: One who uses programming skills to gain illegal access to a computer network or file. [/i]

That definition is entirely wrong (except maybe for the "one who" part.)

Dictionaries are not technical references.

so what are you suggesting i do?

share the HDD and enable norton firewall to let me in... ok i can do that... just not remotely, remember i know how to set up a network with an admin computer that can see all... the whole point of this task/thread was to gain access without knowledge of the other computer's users and to do it all remotely, i do not know how to share a HDD and over-ride firewall settings remotely, do you know how i can do it?

What is your objective?

[i']the whole point of this task/thread was to gain access without knowledge of the other computer's users and to do it all remotely, i do not know how to share a HDD and over-ride firewall settings remotely, do you know how i can do it?

If you are not allowed to have access then it's still wrong. (law or no law)

I have a network that I maintain but that doesn't mean I'm allowed to read everything on the computers of my family members. (unless you are a father/mother of a young child)

What is your objective?

to learn about LAN hacking... it is a learning experience.

Why do you have to do it without people knowing?

because i can already do it when people know! you just ask em to share their HDD and let their firewall allow me in! its simple, now i wanna do it without their permission, it'll allow me to get a greater insight in LAN administration (as i will understand how to hack and bypass security i will know how to patch up those holes).

If you are not allowed to have access then it's still wrong. (law or no law)

but i am allowed to have access according to the users, now i just need to force their firewalls to let me have access too, plus i need to fully share their HDD... the users do not do this for me as it is the whole purpose of this 'excercise' to do it myself remotely.

This thread has been locked because the potential for abuse of any information posted in reply far outweighs any perceivable benefit.

If you have concerns about network security, the only practical solution is to learn networking in a holistic fashion (as with any area of computing), and keeping up-to-date with changes to the technology, protocols, and threats.

You are not going to make anything more secure by poking the occasional random hole in it.