Can I place my self under a coherent radiowave?

OxygenBlue

Hi there

Would it be possible to make a continious radiowave in a certain direction, and then find the spots where -in the line of propagation- the radiowave couldent be measured? I mean, if the radiowave have a wavelength of two meters, the wave would only cross the line of propagation three times, so along most of the line of propagation, the wave couldent be measured.

Thanks for any input!

If you tried to detect at the null of the oscillation you would have trouble measuring it, but detectors of that sort are not small.

But in the case, that the detector was in the size range of the wavelength, would it be possible to place it in the line of propagation, in a fashion where it wouldent pick up a signal?

But in the case, that the detector was in the size range of the wavelength, would it be possible to place it in the line of propagation, in a fashion where it wouldent pick up a signal?

A detector designed to detect the signal, like an antenna, is optimized (to some extent) to detect the signal. But you can see the effect of nulls in a field if you are trying to do that.

A detector designed to detect the signal, like an antenna, is optimized (to some extent) to detect the signal. But you can see the effect of nulls in a field if you are trying to do that.

I'm just asking to know the theoretics, and the wave thing baffled me. I'm not sure what the "effect of nulls in a field" means?

I attached a picture of the situation. I know the antenna should be the size of the wavelength, but please imagine it being a coil-antenna :)

post-84463-0-24398700-1363541448_thumb.png

I'm just asking to know the theoretics, and the wave thing baffled me. I'm not sure what the "effect of nulls in a field" means?

I attached a picture of the situation. I know the antenna should be the size of the wavelength, but please imagine it being a coil-antenna smile.png

The point where the field crosses the axis it has zero amplitude. You couldn't detect it there with a small enough detector and a sufficiently coherent source. It's not normally a problem because detectors are not small and signals not coherent.