Some tips for beginners??

Thecuriousone

Hi I am just new so please pardon me if i insulted any of you or your intelligence. Anyway, i am just starting to learn relativity and i know some theory behind special and general and maybe some mathematics like Lorentz transformation. Anyway, how can i learn general relativity as in their maths as i always hear about the challenges faced in doing or maybe understanding the mathematics behind some of these theories. Any help or tips will be kindly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

First, get a good textbook on SR. Taylor/Wheeler's Spacetime Physics would be my recommendation. You don't need to know too much math to learn SR. If you want to get into GR, you'll need to be familiar with at least vector calculus and linear algebra. Schutz's GR textbook is good for a beginner, and it's available online at <link removed by mod pending copyright check>.

• 4 weeks later...

Gravitation by Thorne/Misner/Wheeler is a very in-depth treatment of the subject, and considered the "gold standard" by many. A good understanding of exterior calculus / differential forms is also helpful in understanding GR, but not necessarily required.