Evolution, Me or us?

yeeee! SCIENCE is JUST making STUFF up!

^ That's what you sound like.

That made me laugh. :D

it’s just to counterbalance the "science has all the answers" brain set of most people.

of course science isn't just making things up...it's everyone agreeing on what they will just make up.

sheesh!

sorry, back to the stored repressed gene traits theme.

PS on that subject, did you ever see the developing stages of a human foetus.

yup, those little suckers have tails all right.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm' date=' but the mutation wouldn't be in the actual gene, but the genes that control the switching on and off? Would that change the actual gene that is activated?

Also might not a library of ready made solutions be possibly more effective than going through the whole chance thing again? After all it has been shown, that evolution speeds up in times of selection pressure. Adding a process like this to what we already know, would speed things up, potentially. Why should life/genes not have learned to deal with the mechanism how to produce mutations/adaptions in a more efficient way. We accept it readily elsewhere. Behaviours are solution banks to anticipated future problems/situations.

But if the geneticists say no, than it will obviously be no and it's guess work by now. So let's see.[/quote']

Genes for body form are switched on and off by how our DNA is methylated at different periods in embryo development, I am a bit sketchy on the details, but I recall the HOX gene has something to do with body shape. A mutation that affects genes involved in embryo development will allow latent physical adaptions to be expressed.

oh man, you don’t know the half of it.

I stumbled upon a rare doctors book one day showing very detailed photographs of each and every stage of embryo development.

it also had all the incorrectly sequenced embryos. and what exactly went wrong and at what stage.

the thing I realised is how much you can do with just a few simple rules...grow left. stop ...bud... grow right.... untill... now stop ... divide and so on.

and also what happens if you get a small error in the process. :eek:

oh man' date=' you don’t know the half of it.

I stumbled upon a rare doctors book one day showing very detailed photographs of each and every stage of embryo development.

it also had all the incorrectly sequenced embryos. and what exactly went wrong and at what stage.

the thing I realised is how much you can do with just a few simple rules...grow left. stop ...bud... grow right.... untill... now stop ... divide and so on.

and also what happens if you get a small error in the process. :eek:[/quote']

There is a famous museum in Austria with all kind of embryos going wrong, I think it was Salzburg as AFAIK ...

Pregnant women are not avised to visit it.