Magnetism and circles

policetac

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how come a magnet that is circular, (Ie. A speaker magnet) is attractive at every point?

If you take a circular speaker magnet, and a piece of metal, the metal will be attracted to the outside of the magnet at every point, as well as inside the hole of the magnet as well.

Why is this, and where then is the negative field in a magnet such as this?

Thanks to all who attempt to help.

Sincerely,

policetac

post-94966-0-00474800-1371516020_thumb.jpgpost-94966-0-65956600-1371516025_thumb.jpgpost-94966-0-15023700-1371516030_thumb.jpg

You could use a compass to find the poles.

Drop some iron filings on it to see how the field is oriented.

Maybe wrap the magnet in wax paper or plastic wrap to make it easier to remove the iron filings.

Yea, I was already thinking a compass might come in handy. lol

I guess I'll have to go ahead and do that since a homemade one probably won't give me the ability to move around the magnet in all of the ways I would need to experiment with this. (I think the water would spill!) :)

Thanks for the answer though.

Sincerely,

policetac

It's attractive because there is a magnetic field everywhere around the magnet, though the direction changes. Metals that are attracted to magnets (ferromagnetic materials) are attracted regardless of the orientation of the field, there is no repulsion. The response of the atoms' field is to align in response to whatever field is present, and results in an attractive force.