What is the best unusual thing you've ever done?

Nouveau

We all experience many different events during our lives, many are common that most us can relate to, but we are also all unique people with our stories to tell of interesting and unique events. Which of these special events or moments really stand out in your memory and perhaps make you think that these were the best unusual things you've ever done?

Edited by Nouveau

We all experience many different events during our lives, many are common that most us can relate to, but we are also all unique people with our stories to tell of interesting and unique events. Which of these special events or moments really stand out in your memory and perhaps make you think that these were the best unusual things you've ever done?

Nouveau;

Although I have travelled all over the US, made forays into Canada and Mexico, and even taken a couple of trips to Europe, my best experience was getting on a motorcycle and riding from Michigan to Arizona.

I was in my early 20's, had less than $50 in my pocket (gas was about $.25 per gallon), and took five days to get there, but I will never forget it. I camped out at night under the stars, ate picnic foods at rest stops and beside the road, and met a lot of people. The difference in driving a car to Arizona and riding a bike, is like the difference in driving down a road fifty times, then one day walking down that same road. There is so much that we miss when driving by; the difference is in passing something, or experiencing something. I felt the climate around me, smelled the grains growing in the fields, saw a lot of animal wildlife, and was approached by many different people with different accents, circumstances, situations and problems.

A lot of people felt the need to welcome and protect a woman alone on a motorcycle. So I was invited to share meals with families and even invited to pitch my tent by theirs, because they were worried about me. Truckers went out of their way to tell me where the Smokies (traffic cops) were parked and where the roads were under construction. Other people advised me about weather problems, bad parts of town, scenic routes, and being careful, and they talked about their lives, their loves, their problems, and their dreams.

Whenever I feel down or disillusioned, I just think back to that time and remember that there are a lot of very good people in this country. Of course, on that trip I also learned about a dozen ways to sit on a bike (sore muscles), got a sun tan that went from my shoulders down to the second knuckle on my fingers, because the tips were shaded by the handlebars, and got my picture in the paper in Arizona. Apparently, not very many women made 2,000 mile trips alone on a motorcycle. So I guess it was unique.

G