Amazing example of high density.

jdurg

I finally got a chance today to photograph my new 35 gram button of Iridium, and I'm just floored by the density of it. I have never held anything like this. It is simply incredible! I decided to take its picture next to a one ounce silver coin that I have. The Iridium ingot weighs 35 grams, and the silver coin probably weighs around 32 grams if you include the holder. The coin is only a tiny bit thinner than the button is, but not by much. (Maybe 1-2mm thinner). Anyway, just look at the difference in size! That is incredible. This is why I collect the elements. Hearing about how dense something is means nothing. Seeing and feeling for yourself the density of it is a great experience. :D

Density.jpg

Thanks. :D I have a single, ultra smooth, 5-gm button of Osmium. (Though it may be 10 grams. I bought it a while ago and just can't remember). I'd love to have a one ounce button of Osmium, but that's insanely expensive. Iridium has virtually the same density, and depending on what day of the week it is, it might actually be a smidge denser. :P So at least I'm able to know what it feels like to hold a lump of osmium. lol. :P

It's not an element it's an alloy:

In modeling we have used the realistic rectangular geometry of the collimator assembly. After the capsule there is a 1.5 cm air gap and then the fixed primary collimator (Fig. 1), which is made of solid heavymet alloy (90% W, 6%Ni, 4% Cu, =16.9 g/cm3) with a thickness of 6.2 cm.

I have machined parts from this material - it is manufactured in the primary state by "sintering" applying tremendous pressure to metal powder until it becomes solid.

It's not an element it's an alloy:

I have machined parts from this material - it is manufactured in the primary state by "sintering" applying tremendous pressure to metal powder until it becomes solid.

I'm sorry to say it, but you're wrong. :D I've got the materials analysis sheet right here, and here is what it says: (The sheet coming from the company which made the metal), "Certificate of Spectrographic Analysis" 99.98% Iridium metal. Parts Per Million of Contaminants:

Pt <1

Au 1

Ru 11

Ag 1

Cu 2

Pb 9

Sb 8

Al <1

Ca 2

Mg 1

Mn <1

Ti 2

Cr <1

Co <1

Pd <1

Rh 94

Os 3

Ni <1

Fe 12

Te <1

As 5

Na 5

Si 29

Zn 2

Bi 3

Mo <1

Sn 1

So based on the chemical analysis of the sample, I can guarantee you that it is not an alloy.

Also, the button was made via arc-melting from the powder and not sintering. Sintering generally results in a more uniform shape due to the pressure being applied. The other side of the ingot shows a very distinct surface where you can see how the metal was flowing as it was formed.

amusing how much rhodium you have in that iridium

Lol. Yeah, when I saw that I was like "okay, a contaminant that is worth far more than the actual thing. I can't complain." :P However, those numbers are parts per million, so even 94 is nothing. (It's only 0.0094%).

I'm sorry to say it' date=' but you're wrong. :D I've got the materials analysis sheet right here, and here is what it says: (The sheet coming from the company which made the metal), "Certificate of Spectrographic Analysis" 99.98% Iridium metal. Parts Per Million of Contaminants:

.[/quote']

I didn't mean to imply what you had wasn't pure iridium. The title of my post was "Heavymet", which is an alloy composed of mostly tungsten (W). I was just giving you an example of another material that is quite heavy. In the quote I gave it gave a weight of 16.9 grams per cubic centimeter. How does that compare the weight of your iridium?

I have a small piece of heavymet here - about 2" cubed. I sometimes give it to someone to hold and watch their hand drop and their eyes open in disbelief. It's funny how that works - I have no problem holding it, because I know how much it weighs - when someone expects something to weigh a couple of ounces and it weighs a couple of pounds, it is a real surprise.

I`ve encountered Heavymet before, in fact each time I play darts :)

mine are heavymet barrels, 29g each (I like heavy darts),HSS points, and I also have lead shot where the stem screws in and an alu flight protector on each.

total weight, roughly 32g per dart.

and I can wipe the floor with yer a$$ using them :)

I didn't mean to imply what you had wasn't pure iridium. The title of my post was "Heavymet"' date=' which is an alloy composed of mostly tungsten (W). I was just giving you an example of another material that is quite heavy. In the quote I gave it gave a weight of 16.9 grams per cubic centimeter. How does that compare the weight of your iridium?

I have a small piece of heavymet here - about 2" cubed. I sometimes give it to someone to hold and watch their hand drop and their eyes open in disbelief. It's funny how that works - I have no problem holding it, because I know how much it weighs - when someone expects something to weigh a couple of ounces and it weighs a couple of pounds, it is a real surprise.[/quote']

Ahhhh. Okay. :D That's what I was hoping you were saying. Otherwise I was really going to wonder how you would be able to make that assumption. :P I guess I should look at the titles of the posts first then. hehe. Yeah, I've heard of heavymet bfeore. It's nice and dense, but there are denser items out there. Pure tungsten is 19.3 g/cc, and I think tantalum metal is high up there as well. It is pretty neat holding a large lump of a dense metal and feeling that heft. Especially when you've just put down a large lump of Magnesium metal which is incredibly not dense. (Sometimes the density of something can make it tough to judge how much you're getting. When I bought my sodium metal, I bought two ounces because I completely forgot how not dense it is and had just spent time trying to acquire the dense metals. I was completely shocked when the two ounces arrived because it was far more than I needed. Suffice it to say that I had a lot of fun with some water. hehehehehe).

I`ve encountered Heavymet before' date=' in fact each time I play darts :)

mine are heavymet barrels, 29g each (I like heavy darts),HSS points, and I also have lead shot where the stem screws in and an alu flight protector on each.

total weight, roughly 32g per dart.

and I can wipe the floor with yer a$$ using them :)[/quote']

I haven't played in a long time. For a while our club had an electronic dartboard that automatically counted your score - it used soft tipped darts. I'm sure that shocks and appalls a purist.

I do remember the first day we had it. My first go I shot 3 bullseyes. Wish I had been paying attention to what I was doing - I could never repeat it.