Bullet Dropped vs Fired

WWLabRat

Ewmon-

I do believe we are searching the same things on Google! I do remember coming across that website, which brings us to our mutual problem of trying to have hunters describe our point.

The diagram you provided above would work perfectly if the bullet's Center of Gravity (CG) was located where the flight path intersects the bullet. The bullets CG is extremely aft, and that is why the Magnus effect is needed to give it stability.

Once the bullet begins to become unaligned with the flight path, the pitch of the bullet begins to change or the spin is effected in anyway, the bullet will tumble. It will not hold that pitch attitude long enough to get lift. The tumbling bullet's flight path is changed, and thus the timing of it hitting the ground will change. (btw- many Vietnam Veterans seriously dislike the M-16 because it was too easy to get the light round would begin tumbling in flight. This would severely impact the penetration ability of the bullet.) In this case, the bullet fired and bullet dropped may not hit the ground simultaneously.

This type of bullet leaves a 'keyhole' entry point.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/g/definition-of-keyhole-bullet-keyholing.htm

Compare to the flight path of a bullet vs. the flight path of a golf ball. The golf ball has lift due to Magnus effect, whereas the bullet uses Magnus effect for stability. The golf ball's flight path is not parabolic, it does have a small portion of flight. Here is a web site that has done a side-by-side comparison of a golf ball with and with out 'dimples'. The dimple-less golf ball does not get as much lift as a dimple golf ball.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/balls/caesar_featherie_dimpleless_golf_ball_review

I am waiting for a gunsmith to make a ball ammunition, with dimples, to be fired with a rifling effect which will produce a backspin on the ball. Hmmm... now that bullet would fly!

Ewmon-

I do believe we are searching the same things on Google! I do remember coming across that website, which brings us to our mutual problem of trying to have hunters describe our point.

The diagram you provided above would work perfectly if the bullet's Center of Gravity (CG) was located where the flight path intersects the bullet. The bullets CG is extremely aft, and that is why the Magnus effect is needed to give it stability.

Once the bullet begins to become unaligned with the flight path, the pitch of the bullet begins to change or the spin is effected in anyway, the bullet will tumble. It will not hold that pitch attitude long enough to get lift. The tumbling bullet's flight path is changed, and thus the timing of it hitting the ground will change. (btw- many Vietnam Veterans seriously dislike the M-16 because it was too easy to get the light round would begin tumbling in flight. This would severely impact the penetration ability of the bullet.) In this case, the bullet fired and bullet dropped may not hit the ground simultaneously.

This type of bullet leaves a 'keyhole' entry point.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/g/definition-of-keyhole-bullet-keyholing.htm

Compare to the flight path of a bullet vs. the flight path of a golf ball. The golf ball has lift due to Magnus effect, whereas the bullet uses Magnus effect for stability. The golf ball's flight path is not parabolic, it does have a small portion of flight. Here is a web site that has done a side-by-side comparison of a golf ball with and with out 'dimples'. The dimple-less golf ball does not get as much lift as a dimple golf ball.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/balls/caesar_featherie_dimpleless_golf_ball_review

I am waiting for a gunsmith to make a ball ammunition, with dimples, to be fired with a rifling effect which will produce a backspin on the ball. Hmmm... now that bullet would fly!

Side note: This was the M16A1. Later this issue was fixed in the M16A2 as well as adding the ability to switch between full auto and 3 round burst