Psychology of insults [NSFW - Language]

Tridimity

Oh so you were suggesting that those people start swearing for that reason in particular then? Lucky for them, they manage to avoid the reasons why everyone else starts swearing in order to fulfil this. Sorry for the conflation, I had no idea that you had such an amazing incite into these people. My mistake smile.png

Well, again you've chosen to misinterpret "perpetuation" for "origination", and I realize that's an easier argument to attack. But why someone starts swearing like this is not as important, imo, as why they continue to do it.

Misogynists in the US know the word "cunt" has a vicious, hateful element to it aimed exclusively at women (different in the UK, I know). They know it, they use it for that reason, even when it's pointed out how hateful it is. And there are plenty of examples of people using these types of hateful words coming from a standpoint of their religion. One only has to look at how vehemently the religious right tries to block legislation against hate speech; they seem to know their viewpoint often causes them to judge others using words most would consider hateful.

800px-Seven_Dirty_Words_WBAI.jpg

Americans (I am one) do seem to be a little more uptight about swear words. Note that the N-word is not included in the list. I am as yet unprepared to comment on the sociological implications of this observation, but it does seem as if it might be an important distinction.

Americans (I am one) do seem to be a little more uptight about swear words. Note that the N-word is not included in the list. I am as yet unprepared to comment on the sociological implications of this observation, but it does seem as if it might be an important distinction.

The word 'asshole' is often censored on television by silencing half the word. I find it funny that they let the word 'ass' be said but silence the word 'hole'.

The word 'asshole' is often censored on television by silencing half the word. I find it funny that they let the word 'ass' be said but silence the word 'hole'.

As an insult, "ass" is much more mild, isn't it? I'll bet I could almost get a smile from an American if I said, "Stop acting like an ass!" I picture only scowls and escalated tensions if I used "asshole" instead.

It must be the difference between being a jerk and being a dirty, stinking, crap-spewing jerk.