Weighing Energy

ryan2006

Albert Eienstein said that E=MC2 which means that Energy weighs the same as mass x light squared. When you look up a google search it says that energy does not weigh anything and further the synonym for "weigh" = ignore and neglect. Let me put my attention and focus on my equation Energy x acceleration=Force. At first glance people would say that it is impossible to weigh energy. So I did a little research. First, I went to a car show. There were many mean cars with souped up engines and one that had forced air into the intake. The man showing the the car had it calculated that 10,000PSI was being forced into the intake. PSI is pressure per square inch. Since pressure can be weighed I wondered if it was a way to measure the weight of energy. For example, in my equation Energy x acceleration=Force is an example of saying wind energy x acceleration= the number of turns the propeller on the turbine/sec. So I said Wind Energy Pressure per Square inch x acceleration 0-5 seconds of acceleration= Wind Energy per square inch measured in Pounds of Wind energy pressure x a gust of a wind to accelerate it=force or number of wind energy pressures/square second. Since I am not the greatest mathemetician I may say 10,000psi of wind pressure x 0-5seconds squared/meter=so the force would be 50,000 PSI/meter seconds. Energy can be measured in PSI when I talked with a physics professor he said in 5 seconds without thinking that it was correct and that I thought that mass does not wiegh the same in zero gravity so energy must weigh 1/6 the amount on the moon. However wind pressure remains accelerated in zero gravity. Is any of this making sense? Ryan Henningsgaard

Technical point: m refers to mass, and mass is not weight. You can't weigh pressure, either, not does it have a mass. Objects have mass, with a few rare exceptions like photons.

Broader point: Einstein said E=mc2 under the condition that the particle is at rest. To apply the equation to a moving body ignores this and requires a redefinition of mass. If one extends Einstein's equation to moving bodies, one finds that E2 = m2c4 +p2c2

Energy x acceleration=Force is wrong. The units don't match up.

Is any of this making sense?

Not really.

What you could do is consider [math]m= E/c^{2}[/math] and substitute that into your Newtonian formula. It would work, but I am not sure if it would actually tell you anything interesting and I doubt it would have a very clear physical meaning.

Technical point: m refers to mass, and mass is not weight. You can't weigh pressure, either, not does it have a mass. Objects have mass, with a few rare exceptions like photons.

Broader point: Einstein said E=mc2 under the condition that the particle is at rest. To apply the equation to a moving body ignores this and requires a redefinition of mass. If one extends Einstein's equation to moving bodies, one finds that E2 = m2c4 +p2c2

Energy x acceleration=Force is wrong. The units don't match up.

While pressure itself doesn't have weight, it is matter (which does have both mass and weight) compressed into a container (such as an O2 tank). After removing the weight of the container, I can understand how it can be believed that that the pressure has weight, albeit indirectly. The weight of it would be the total combined weight of the molecular Oxygen.

Another technical point though would be "wind energy". Isn't the wind the movement of molecules of air? And seeing that air has a measurable weight and mass, the equation in the original post of "Energy x acceleration=Force" would still need to be F=ma.

While pressure itself doesn't have weight, it is matter (which does have both mass and weight) compressed into a container (such as an O2 tank). After removing the weight of the container, I can understand how it can be believed that that the pressure has weight, albeit indirectly. The weight of it would be the total combined weight of the molecular Oxygen.

No, pressure is not matter. Pressure is a property of matter. The oxygen has mass, and the pressure is related to how much O2 you have.

The underlying misconception here is that energy, like pressure, is not a substance. It is a property.