Riddle me this, Einstein.

New to Physics, but it occurred to me that if for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (At least in 3-D macro space) Could this same Law be true for propagation (?) along the 4th dimension of time? As an object ages or moves forward in time, could an equal and opposite reaction be that it also moves back in time?

And if so, could these objects traveling negatively in time be the long sought after dark matter and an explanation of super symmetry? Could this explain some of the quirks of Quantum mechanics?

Perhaps instead of a time line, it should be better categorized as a time circle. With one half of the circle being positive time and one half being negative time.

Not sure if the idea holds water and not sure how you would test it and not smart enough to prove anything mathematically. Thoughts?

Action-reaction applies to forces, not simple motion. Motion at a constant velocity does not involve forces, and can be described from any inertial frame; there is no absolute motion. Trying to apply this to time is improper as there is no force involved.

Just thinking out loud. I am told that time is very closely bound to space and that there is a possibility that space is curved. So could it not be possible to move negatively (?) in time. That is move nearer to a point of origin in time without actually moving backwards in time. It hurts my brain to think about it but the nearest analogy I can come up with is motion through space which may be an invalid comparison. You get in your car and go get a loaf of bread from the store then you turn around and return home. While you are traveling closer to your point of origin you did not put the car in reverse and backtrack along the same path. Completely unsubstantiated but submitted to spark conversation.

Do we have any ideas on what force if any propels us through time?

Do we have any ideas on what force if any propels us through time?

There is no force. No force is required for movement through space, either, just the proper choice of coordinate system — only one is not going to show motion. A force is only needed to change your movement through space.

Ok, I'm with you. So if we can draw an analogy between movement through space and movement through time, then our movement through time also is dependent on frame of reference. When I was seven years old, I broke my arm trying to jump a drainage ditch on my bicycle. Last year, that event happened 36 years ago. As I type, that event happened 37 years ago. The event is moving further back in time from my frame of reference (the present). So maybe we are not moving forward through time but rather our past is traveling backwards in time.

I forget the citation but I believe I heard something along these lines on the science channel. A father was rewinding a video tape and told his son, "[you know, even while rewinding the tape, the images are still obeying the laws of physics .]"

I think it was through the wormhole. I think that it has implications and it may be possible that this particular universe can exist by our laws of physics in reverse.

You know, adding to this, have you ever heard of these so called demon messages when you play songs in reverse? Maybe the universe actually does exist in reverse... and we can even hear what the reverse universe has to say. This is just a speculation though but it's supported by evidence.

I suggested in another thread that if the universe exists in reverse, perhaps we can observe in the present, the effects of objects that exist in the immediate past and that these effects may be the shadowy dark matter that we know to exist but cannot directly detect. Maybe that is because it exists ever so slightly in the past.

I suggested in another thread that if the universe exists in reverse, perhaps we can observe in the present, the effects of objects that exist in the immediate past and that these effects may be the shadowy dark matter that we know to exist but cannot directly detect. Maybe that is because it exists ever so slightly in the past.

We can see light or shadow of past object.

Sorry, but nothing "moves in time."

Try to define "moves in time". dt/dt is not a very interesting nor useful quantity.

However.....

The idea can be a useful prop in some cases, as long as it's not taken too seriously.

Even Yakir Aharanov appeals to the notion in his 2 State-Vector Formalism of quantum mechanics where he imagines two state vectors, one propagating forward in time, and one in reverse.

You might look into this similar idea, Perkinsjc.

The 2 State-Vector Formalism is a fascinating idea, if as advertised, simply resolves the issue of spurious oscillations in weak measurements. Given a few changes, one might develop an alternative, rather than adjunct, set of axioms to quantum mechanics.

This is a mouthful of words, but you can find simple reading in the lighter journals, online, addressing resent and supporting research out of Rochester University.

Edited by decraig