Purpose in the life of a fruit

jose-cl

Hello everyone,

First of all, let me say a couple of things:

1) I'm not a native english speaker, so, sorry if there're some mistakes

2) This is my very fist question in this site

3) Honestly, I think that my question really sucks, but I've to do it to calm my mind

Ok, here I go:

Is, the purpose in the life of a fruit, being eated by an animal to spread the seeds that are inside it?

The basic answer is yes... It's almost obvious,

however, if you abstract the idea and think in the prespective that the tree is "expecting to feed" a different specie to spread it's seeds, sounds more complex.

Ok, It's just that? it's just a mutualism?

Thanks for any help.

Jose

• 2 weeks later...

Fruit doesn't really have life on its own.. Its life is connected to the life of the plant that it comes from. I believe that many fruits are ways of reproduction for many plants.

Also fruits contain many nutrients, (a lot of energy) for many organisms who can successfully enzymatically metabolize this energy, use, store, and manipulate it.

Its just all part of the Biological system of life....

Hello jose-cl. I'm not sure Andres has quite given you the answer you are looking for. (Was it a yes, or a no.)

I think you have it correct: the production of fruit is an example of mutualism. As your linked article suggests, the importance of mutualism in evolution is often overlooked. Herbert Spencer has a lot to answer for: by introducing the phrase "survival of the fittest" he emphasised one aspect of the processes governing evolution. Darwin is certainly not blameless in this regard, either. It is that inter-relatedness of all life forms that Andres is apparently referring to - the Biological system of life.

Is, the purpose in the life of a fruit, being eated by an animal to spread the seeds that are inside it?

The basic answer is yes... It's almost obvious,

however, if you abstract the idea and think in the prespective that the tree is "expecting to feed" a different specie to spread it's seeds, sounds more complex.

Ok, It's just that? it's just a mutualism?

I don't have any examples, but I heard mentioned once that some fruit trees end up being guarded by a benevolent species (one that only wants the fruit) from more harmful species like rats (who might be much more destructive on the bark and leaves). I could see selective pressures making the fruit more and more desirable for the benevolent species, since this gives the tree a better chance at survival.