Couple of Q's

Crash

Is the double bond indicated on an alkene one sigma bond and one pi bond?

Alkyenes two pi bonds and one sigma bond?

Another q, how a hybrid orbitals named? like sp^3 or sp^2 what dinotes the 3 or two and what about s^2p^3?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Is the double bond indicated on an alkene one sigma bond and one pi bond?

Alkyenes two pi bonds and one sigma bond?

correct...

Another q, how a hybrid orbitals named? like sp^3 or sp^2 what dinotes the 3 or two and what about s^2p^3?

it really depends on the bondings in the molecule. for example, methane CH4 is a sp3 hybridised molecule, i.e - the carbon in the methane molecule needs to hybridise 1 electron in the s orbital with 3 electrons in the next p-orbital (all of them being unpaired initially) in order to exchange electrons with 4 hyrogen atoms and form sigma bonds. the same goes for sp2... (work out the structure and electronic config of ethene to figure out why its an sp2 hybridised molecule :)). i dont know abt s2p3 though... never heard of it, i dont know what the 2p stands... is it referring to electrons in the 2p orbital??

-mak10

the s2p3 the 2 was subtextd not supertextd, thanks so much for the help, so the reason orbitals hybridise is to be able to bond to the maximumm state e.g. 4 for carbon? do they do this to abtain nobel gas structure? like why is 1s2,2s2,2p4 with coordinated bonds not suitable surely the mechanics of forming hybrid orbitals is greater for hybridising than to form coordinqate bonds?