Chicken Soup

I was just reading up about convection here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convection

and it said: "Convection occurs in atmospheres, oceans, and planetary mantles, and chicken soup." and I just found the random "chicken soup" was quite amusing, so I clicked on it and went here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_soup

interestingly it said:

Research conducted by Dr. Stephen Rennard, professor of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, and his colleagues at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, has shown that there might be some scientific basis for this folk belief, as the particular blend of nutrients and vitamins in traditional chicken soup can slow the activity of certain white blood cells. This may have an anti-inflamamatory[/url'] effect that could hypothetically lead to temporary ease from symptoms of illness.
although it does say that:

just thought it was interesting.

Yeah, I read about that awhile back.

Found this too.

Q. Can Chicken Soup Help A Cold?

From Courtney Kraft

A.

As there is no actual evidence that chicken soup can help cure a cold, most doctors agree that it can have positive results when treating your cold.

First, the steam from the soup can help unclog congestion in your chest and nose loosening up mucus. So why not just have a hot cup of tea instead you ask?

There is another reason you might want to make yourself some of grandma's chicken soup.

Researchers found evidence that the broth has anti-inflammatory properties that aid in soothing your sore throat and helping to stop the movement of neutrophils (white blood cells that encourage the flow of mucus that accumulates in the lungs and nose).

interestingly enough, garlic is often classified as an herbal remedy for malfunctions of the immune system. this could and has often been attributed to garlics irristable and undeniable potent aromatic qualities ;) personally i love the stuff, especially in soup, but the boost of the immune system in conjuction with the broths ability to decongest and its anti-inflammitory properties, it will naturally prove to be useful in many cold/allergy-type illnesses from the common caugh to the flu and strep.

• 2 weeks later...

There's also the theory that if you eat enough garlic, the body odor and bad breath eminating from you will keep people away from you, thus lowering the number of bacteria/virii you encounter. :P

not sure about keeping people away, but the emanating aroma off the body that garlic produces, while imperceptible to human senses will keep mosquitoes and biting flies off of you. i know this from experience. its the most natural insect repellent, and best of all it doesnt wash off in the pool.

as in the "Flu advice" thread, Zinc is also very good, so Oysters with Garlic sauce, and you`re on a real winner :)

as for natural insect repelants, Pyrethrums found in certain flowers like Marigolds and Calendula, are amongst the best, Methrin based are good too, and many variations can be found in fly spray and insecticides.