Human Nature

For Prose

When defined seperately, human and nature are easily distinguishable and definable. But when you start to question what human nature is, things get a little hairy.

One person might say human nature involves our basic instincts, as they are fairly universal.

Another might say, human nature is what we have become, such as the ability for symbolic thought or complex languages.

My question to you, science community, is what truly defines human nature? One article in New Scientist magazine referred to storytelling to be old...as old as human nature. A reader could infer from this fragment that human nature encompasses only that which has been uniquely derived to our species. But would a stronger definition of human nature extend to what truly drives us, all of us that is.

I realize that this is opinion based, as no one person dictates what human nature is. Rather, I would like to hear your thoughts and possibly sources that help polish what this subject really means.

Edited by For Prose

My question to you, science community, is what truly defines human nature?

I don't see the phrase human nature as being one with a scientific basis. Consequently, I don't think a meaningful answer can be given in scientific terms, at least until you have defined what aspects of a "thing" are to be considered part of its nature.

Then how do you see it oh great moderator? My wish was to make it more of a scientific issue, hence the reason I posted this on....Scienceforums.net.

Delete the post if you don't think this issue relates to science, but at least let me know of another site better suited.

Humans are a subset of nature, not a distinct entity. Most elements in nature eat in some way (either through light or chemicals) and try to reproduce in some way (either by cell division or procreation or other similar process). Humans are no different in those regards.

Things are somewhat different at a cultural level than an individual level. We tend to group together in tribes and packs. We tend to explore things and seek things that bring us comfort and safety, but people travel different paths to acquire that.

There is no one-size-fits all, though. For example, what part of human nature led you to be such a dick to Ophiolite above for no apparent reason, and which part of human nature led me to try offering you a reasonable response to your question despite your outburst?

Then how do you see it oh great moderator?

I am not a moderator on this forum. The Expert designation is offered by the mod/admin teams to individuals who have a track record for providing accurate, or insightful and informed contributions reasonably consistently. This does not ensure that I might not occasionally talk rubbish.

My wish was to make it more of a scientific issue, hence the reason I posted this on....Scienceforums.net.

And I offered you what I thought to be useful guidance to help towards moving in this direction. Without identifying potential problems it is difficult to deal with them. I think I identified a problem. I may be mistaken in that, or I may not. But you asked a question and I tried, within the limits of my abilities and knowledge, to provide at least some additional background for an answer.

Delete the post if you don't think this issue relates to science, but at least let me know of another site better suited.

As noted above I do not have the authority to delete the post as I am not a moderator. If I was a moderator I would see no reason to delete the post. It is a reasonable question, but one that is not as simple as it initially appears to be - hence my attempt to clarify the content.

This site is a good one for you to reach a resolution of your question, but to fully benefit from it I recommend the following:

1. Be willing to listen to all input, but consider it all critically.

2. Don't bite the hand attempting to feed you.

In rereading your OP I think you may have actually answered your own question. There are multiple aspects of human nature, including, but not necessarily limited to anatomy, biochemistry, genotype, embryology, behaviour, etc. It is this diversity that I was attempting to hint at in my earlier post. This is such a large field that an answer embracing all would be hugely complex. Thus my suggestion that one needs to define, or more precisely select which of these topics one wishes to address.

If you are not a moderator, my sincere apologies I give.

I am accustomed to forums wherein moderators occasionally take their power I little too seriously. It was my understanding that you thought this post was not related to science, when in fact, I only truly wanted to bring science into something that tends to be vague. I realize it is a matter of interpretation. I only wish for people to expand on what they or what those teaching them believe.

For example, is storytelling a derived trait or instinctual? This I do not know, as it may contain elements of both.

By discussing what the majority of readers consider human nature to entail on a scientific forum, my goal was to figure out where people who know many things in a vast array of different fields to chime in.

This all stems from an article I read. My thoughts on what human nature encapsulates differed quite strongly than that of the authors.

Once again, I apologize for the sarcasm.

The question about story telling is an interesting one. That does seem to be something that sets humans apart a bit. Many animals learn by watching others and modeling that behavior. They see another individual do something and then they replicate it. Birds do this, and it's also what leads us to the phrase, "monkey see, monkey do." Humans, however, seem to be one of the few animals that actively educate others and form narratives with broader themes. This helped our social groups become stronger. We would hunt in packs and then tell stories to our tribe members around the fire when cooking the meat. Morality and cultural expectations are shared through stories, etc. I don't know if this is "instinctual" or if it's learned, but it does some to be something that helps "make us human."

Once again, I apologize for the sarcasm.

Apology fully accepted.

By discussing what the majority of readers consider human nature to entail on a scientific forum, my goal was to figure out where people who know many things in a vast array of different fields to chime in

I understand your goal. I am not sure that, despite the wide range of member interests, we have enough genuine expertise to reach a meaningful conclusion.

One point to keep in mind is that most human characteristics are present in some form, though perhaps not as developed, in other animals. Human nature then becomes not a matter of specific features, but of the degree to which these features are expressed. I cannot think of a single feature for which this could not be argued - though not necessarily successfully.

Typically, when we talk about "human nature", we are talking about something inherent, not dependent upon external variables. In other words, we are talking about genetics and heredity. The heredity of any trait is going to vary depending upon that specific trait.

In my mind this is more a philosophical question than anything. It stems from the assumption that there is an uniqueness, an essence to entities in a Platonic sense. However, nature has little in ways of firm boundaries. I have to add that my view is heavily influenced by molecular biology and as such for every element that we deem unique (or relatively unique to humans) there are literally thousands that are similar to something else.

As such, it is hard for me to declare uniqueness in an absolute sense.