Is space a property of matter?

My guess is that with no matter at all no one would care. Locally matter-less regions are called vacuum, and generally considered as being part of space, implying that space exists in these regions(*).

(*) But of course the very term "region" implies space, so the statement is circular reasoning to some extend.

@Hashirama_Senju :

You have re-discovered what Einstein called "Mach's Principle." It's actually more of Einstein than of Ernst Mach, but Mach did revive a really old gedankenexperiment called "Newton's Bucket" to argue it.

Interesting stuff. I've given you some search terms in the above paragraph that will lead you interesting places. If you need help with your search-fu, let me know; I will provide terms happily. You will also find a good discussion of Mach's Principle in Brian Greene's book, The Fabric of the Cosmos, which I highly recommend. I can look up the chapter if you like. It's actually a pretty direct proof of the Equivalence Principle.

Edited by Schneibster