Determining the Mass Transfer Coefficient in a Bioreactor

thomasjohn497

In my biochemical engineering book, in the section regarding cellular oxygen transfer rate from the media to the cells, the authors introduce three equations (see the attached photo for equations). In presenting these equations, the book states that, "this is the most accurate way to measure the mass transfer coefficient (kLa) in a fermenter." However, the authors do not explain in the book how to actually go about measuring the kLa using these equations. I was wondering if anyone with knowledge on this subject could provide further information regarding the determination of kLa using these equations, it would be a big help.

post-104921-0-23446700-1400015406.jpg

Well as a total layman looking at the equations as just symbols I would have to comment that the only equation with your coefficient in is No 1 and it has nothing in common with either No 2 or 3 which seems odd to start with (Unless C* is the same as C_AL* which would be confusing).

You don't measure using equations - you get data from experiment and from that and a working model represented by equations you can get further information. So which of your other unknowns are easily measured - you are looking for the oxygen transfer rate, you can get the concentration, and the maximum saturated concentration etc...

Eq No2 just makes Eq 3 prettier; so sub into Eq 3 the RHS of Eq2 and then see what parts of that equation you could validly search for in data, or set as your experimental parameters.