Basic knowledge of Astronomy and Astrophysics necessary in the field ? (For a youngster with an interest)

Hello, members of the Science Forum community.
I am a 15 year old with a huge interest in Astrophysics and Astronomy as a whole. But it has been very inaccessible for me, for learning Astrophysics is no piece of cake. I'm merely another product of a typical educational system with a laughably limited amount of knowledge regarding Physics and/or Astronomy.
So basically, i just want to know that before I get into reading higher level books or scouring the internet for information, what are the basics I require and the foundations I need to comprehend an average (higher level) article regarding the fields?

I realize my question is rather vague, but I hope I got my point across.Just want to know what basics I must be clear with before I dive into this.
Thanks in advance :)

I'd say anything that has some astrophysics in it will be helpful, tv documentaries, textbooks, lectures, internet and perhaps other students in your classes. we're lucky to be in a time where knowledge is nicely available to most people, as opposed to the dark ages where books were probably the only proper resource. awesome that there exist lots of youngsters who are interested :)

Edited by `hýsøŕ

If it isn't already then get your maths into shape. The one common factor of all the physicists I meet - here and face-to-face - is a complete ease with their mathematics and a faculty to learn new areas of maths very quickly.

Khan Academy and Pauls Maths Notes

Perhaps even Wolfram Alpha's self testing facility.

In addition to the excellent comments already made, I recommend choosing one, or at most two specific areas of interest and delving deeply into those. You will find that although your attention is focused on what seem to be narrow fields you necessarily learn a great deal at the periphery, but you have the additional benefit of knowing that one topic really well.

Watch the new series "Cosmos, a Space/Time Odyssey".

It will make anyone want a job in the field of science. Any astonomers out there need someone who can sweep up around the telescope?

Edited by Airbrush

!

Moderator Note

thinhkbseea

Stop posting other people's videos without any regard to the discussion at hand. I have hidden your latest post here. You will be flagged as a spammer if this continues.

Do not respond to this modnote and derail the thread. You can report this post if you feel it is unfair - but first I would recommend you reread the rules you agreed to upon sign up