Amateur Radio

Silencer

Is anyone here an amateur radio operator? Like, short wave, 2 meter, etc, or even CB?

I'm pretty interested in it right now, even though I don't have any equipment. I was just wondering if there are any hams here.

that`s exactly what a QSL card is.

when DXing and you get a positive copy at the other end, you exchange details, usualy call sign, POBox address (or the PO Box of a Club affiliation), operating conditions, times and dates etc... these are all put on a card (like a post card) and exchanged as form of "proof".

we have 2 legal CB bands here in the uk catagorised by a stamp on the rig either 27/81 or GB/PR 27.

both are FM at 10kcs per chan, in blocks of 40.

we call them UK or Mid Block, "Mid Block" is 26.965 to 27.405 (there are split frequencies between some chans though), the "UK" has a 3.75 kc offset and is 15 chans above ch40 Mid Block.

those 15 chans are used ilegaly by "Banders" SSB rigs, 27.555 USB is the accepted calling freq for 11 metres DXing.

hope that helps a little :)

edit: this just came in my mail as I was asking a friend of mine what "Number Stations" are. http://www.m1cvc.uklinux.net/radio_bandplan.html

that`s how the ham bands are allocated here.

• 2 weeks later...

Silencer,

I`ve asked a few friends of mine, and now to get your Novice Liscence, there`s no Morse Code requirement anymore, so it`ll just be an exam of about 30 questions, basic rules/regs, a few basic electronic questions, and few questions of radio principals.

as for a good setup to look out for, get one like mine (I`m not being TOO biased).

http://members.tripod.com/~Malzev/cb-radio/lincoln.htm

they can be unlocked to cover 26 to 30 Mhz continuos on any mode.

have fun :)