War Of The Worlds

Guest eveofthewar

Guest eveofthewar

I hope a thread isn't already going for this, couldnt see one!

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on the Spielberg/Cruise Sci-Fi movie?

I can't wait personally! Looks great :D

Anyway, the official site is here waroftheworlds.com

I run a website on it, the link is in my signature..... great forum here by the way!

They already re-made War of the Worlds, quite recently. Go rent War of the Worlds (the original movie) and Independence Day, and watch ID4 right after WotW. There are some differences, but by an large they're nearly identical.

Mokele

Well no, it's a take-off on the old H.G. Well novel where the Martians finally died from the common cold (or some other disease, which I don't believe Wells specified).

But yeah, I'm sure Spielberg is quite familiar with the 1953 George Pal movie. It should be interesting to see if the martian machines walk on tripods (as they did in the book) or fly (as they did in the Pal movie).

One difference I can guess at is that this invasion will all be George Bush's fault somehow. Distracted by Iraq, we were taken unaware, etc etc... ;-)

Jeff Waynes version is so cool!

if Speilberg uses the soundtrack from that in his film, he`ll have 2 loyal fans for life! :)

the 1953 version was great, and although I`ve seen it more times than I can be bothered to count, I`de still watch it again. although the WOTW series wasn`t up to snuff at all, I saw a few and refused to watch any more on principal.

I think I watched the old old version myself once. it was good, kind of reminded me of the resident evil games, but I don't know how speilberg would do. I mean, he has made some good and some bad movies. "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" rings a bell as a bad one.

One difference I can guess at is that this invasion will all be George Bush's fault somehow. Distracted by Iraq, we were taken unaware, etc etc... ;-)
I heard Bush ignored a PDB memo warning of a Martian invasion. He'll probably wait until we're attacked, then claim the Venutians are stockpiling WMDs and launch an invasion.

I will defiantly go and see it when it’s released.

The 1950’s one has some good looking ships and cool sounds but it is a bit slow paced for today’s tastes.

Was given the old radio show hoax one on tape, Orson Wells narrated it.

Apparently it had framers of the time at the ready with their shotguns.

It’s surprisingly enjoyable even today.

I’m not holding out much hope for this latest version.

Spielberg seems to be missing the zeitgeist for some strange reason these days?

I’m just over run with computerised images and formulaic story structures.

Because of that I hope he finds a new take on the story, and a new structure to tell it with.

I heard Bush ignored a PDB memo warning of a Martian invasion. He'll probably wait until we're attacked, then claim the Venutians are stockpiling WMDs and launch an invasion.

No, The Venusians are a peaceful scientific people.

Deeply interested in calculus as a religion.

They are sitting on large underground oil reserves however.

Earth is off there to defend itself against weapons of math instruction.

kidding.

Guest eveofthewar
They already re-made War of the Worlds' date=' quite recently. Go rent War of the Worlds (the original movie) and Independence Day, and watch ID4 right after WotW. There are some differences, but by an large they're nearly identical.

Mokele[/quote']

Unless 1953 is quite recent, then they haven't made one for a while!

Independence Day has a similar theme, but this movie was a feel good adventure, where as anyone who has watched the WOTW trailers and read what Spielberg is doing will realise this is nothing like Independence Day.

Hopefully the Pendragon Pictures version will also come out end of March/April too.

Independence Day has a similar theme

It's more than a similar theme. Seriously, watch them back-to-back. It's almost perfectly the same in terms of scenes, order, etc. It's not just the same theme, it's the same film.

Mokele

Guest eveofthewar
It's more than a similar theme. Seriously' date=' watch them back-to-back. It's almost perfectly the same in terms of scenes, order, etc. It's not just the same theme, it's the same film.

Mokele[/quote']

Watch what back to back? Neither the Paramount 2005 movie or the Pendragon one have been released yet. So how can anyone compare films they haven't seen?

http://webmaster.waroftheworlds.com/click.html?c=SPHMTL

OK, eveofthewar, you've advertised links in every one of your posts, you haven't bothered posting anywhere else, and now it looks like you're purposely being obtuse to stir up this thread.

Feel free to post here, but don't hype WOTW anymore. Thanks, good luck with that, bu-bye.