Cosmic rays and neutrinos

Ganesh Ujwal

I'm reading Gaggero's Cosmic Ray Diffusion in the Galaxy and Diffuse Gamma Emission and he makes the claim,

...the definitive proof of Cosmic Ray proton acceleration in supernova remnants] would be the observation of neutrino emission by existing or forthcoming experiments such as IceCube or NEMO.

The existence of neutrinos stems from relativistic protons colliding with ambient protons. Neutral pions are the primary decay mode for [latex]pp[/latex] collisions, but charged pions can also be made alongside the neutrinos.

My question is then would the non-detection of neutrinos be a statistic issue or would it suggest Supernova Remnants do not accelerate protons?

Well we have detected neutrinos from supernovas. If I recall there was even a miss measurement causing scientists to believe neutrinos to be travelling faster than c. However they found that neutrino s were released prior to the light of the explosion. This meant that the faster than c neutrinos was in error and gave us a better understanding of the super nova process

Well we have detected neutrinos from supernovas. If I recall there was even a miss measurement causing scientists to believe neutrinos to be travelling faster than c. However they found that neutrino s were released prior to the light of the explosion. This meant that the faster than c neutrinos was in error and gave us a better understanding of the super nova process

I wouldn't call it a mismeasurement so much as an unexpected result that required a more thorough explanation than a surface interpretation.

The neutrinos did arrive before the light from the supernova. That wasn't an incorrect measurement. It just didn't mean what the initial, obvious, interpretation would have implied that it meant (i.e. That the neutrinos were traveling faster than light).