Earth Acceleration by New Moon

Bjarne

Is this correct, the acceleration affecting the Earth (towards the Moon and Sun) by new moon can be calculated as follows

Acceleration due to gravity of the Earth + Acceleration due to gravity due to the Moon, - minus – the opposite acceleration (centrifugal force)

I believe this is correct but wonder if there are other contributions.

Now let us say the Earth, Moon, and Sun is not aligned, but the earth is 10 degree from both, before new moon, how does this affect the acceleration due to gravity of the earth (towards the Moon and Sun)

What confuse me is by new moon the earth accelerates towards the moon, but normally it is opposite, the Moon accelerates towards the Earth.

I know it is newton’s second law that has to be used, but I am a bit confused, exactly how.

Is this correct, the acceleration affecting the Earth (towards the Moon and Sun) by new moon can be calculated as follows

Acceleration due to gravity of the Earth + Acceleration due to gravity due to the Moon, - minus – the opposite acceleration (centrifugal force)

I believe this is correct but wonder if there are other contributions.

Now let us say the Earth, Moon, and Sun is not aligned, but the earth is 10 degree from both, before new moon, how does this affect the acceleration due to gravity of the earth (towards the Moon and Sun)

What confuse me is by new moon the earth accelerates towards the moon, but normally it is opposite, the Moon accelerates towards the Earth.

I know it is newton’s second law that has to be used, but I am a bit confused, exactly how.

1. If you invoke Newton's laws that implies an inertial frame, in which there is no such thing as a centrifugal force.

2. Accelerations are vectors. They will add add according to vector addition.

3. It's Newton's third law that applies here. The moon exerts a force on the earth, and the earth applies an equal an opposite force on the moon. They each accelerate toward each other. It's never one or the other.

1. If you invoke Newton's laws that implies an inertial frame, in which there is no such thing as a centrifugal force.

2. Accelerations are vectors. They will add add according to vector addition.

3. It's Newton's third law that applies here. The moon exerts a force on the earth, and the earth applies an equal an opposite force on the moon. They each accelerate toward each other. It's never one or the other.

1. Yes I know the centrifugal "force" is not real. The point is only at a certain point the acceleration towards the moon or sun stops due to tat "fictive force” and it can even be calculated as a (fictive) force or acceleration.

2. Right I understand this

3. Let’s say the Acceleration Due to Gravity (ADG) of the moon (affecting the Earth) is 0.00035m/s^2 and ADG of the Earth is 0.0027m/s^2 (in the orbit of the Moon) - Will the Moon and Earth now accelerate towards each other with these factors ? - I guess so, but as i understand your last post ""The moon exerts a force on the earth, and the earth applies an equal an opposite force on the moon"" you are speaking about force. Well yes the force is a combination of the 2 objects pull. But I am speaking about only acceleration. I guess I was right (that the acceleration towards the 2 bodies, is the ADG of each of them as mentioned above) For Earth 0,00035 and for the Moon 0,0027m/s^2 (?)

Edited by Bjarne

1. Yes I know the centrifugal "force" is not real. The point is only at a certain point the acceleration towards the moon or sun stops due to tat "fictive force” and it can even be calculated as a (fictive) force or acceleration.

2. Right I understand this

3. Let’s say the Acceleration Due to Gravity (ADG) of the moon (affecting the Earth) is 0.00035m/s^2 and ADG of the Earth is 0.0027m/s^2 (in the orbit of the Moon) - Will the Moon and Earth now accelerate towards each other with these factors ? - I guess so, but as i understand your last post ""The moon exerts a force on the earth, and the earth applies an equal an opposite force on the moon"" you are speaking about force. Well yes the force is a combination of the 2 objects pull. But I am speaking about only acceleration. I guess I was right (that the acceleration towards the 2 bodies, is the ADG of each of them as mentioned above) For Earth 0,00035 and for the Moon 0,0027m/s^2 (?)

I'm not too sure what you are measuring here but as I understand it at the New Moon the Sun and the Moon are on the same side of the Earth so their combined gravitational forces would add up to making the Earth accelerate toward the Sun-Moon faster than when the Moon is full and the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon.

So would we find that the Earth Moon distance is generally shorter at the Full Moon rather than at the New Moon?

Edited by Robittybob1