Dragons

razorfane

umm... I really don't know where this could go so I put it here. Maybe if there was a mythology forum. Also I'm not sure if this was discussed already, I tried searching, haven't found anything, but since it is a very intriguing subject...

Anyway.. I saw this documental on dragons. Off course there's no evidence they exist yet, but the documental pretends they really existed and forms an awsome story and background on dragons. They explain how they've evolved from the cretaceous era till the last one that was killed by knights and dragonslayers in medieval europe. I thought it was really well made. Just wanted to see any thoughts on this, I particularly find it intriguing that all of the ancient cultures had mythology on dragons without ever communicating with each other.

I particularly find it intriguing that all of the ancient cultures had mythology on dragons without ever communicating with each other.

Asian mythical dragons do not have the same behavior or physical features to European ones. For starters, on one hand they are revered godlike beings, and on the other, they are scary, destructive monsters that need to be slain. But it is interesting that the concept of a giant flying reptilian creatures is part of mythology in different cultures.

Ya dragons are really something that would be cool if they truly did once exist, But unfortunately it's highly immposible. I doubt there's a possibilty at all.

What was the documental called?where did you see it?

The show was called "Dragons" an was shown on Animal Planet. It was done along the lines of the Walking With series, but in the end, I was dissapointed.

They left quite a few gaps, jumped ahead too quickly, and drew out the final extinction too long. They could have made it much more intense and informative in the same amount of time. They needed more background in their evolution and ancestry, as well as more involved stories and biology about the specific species. Such as when it came to the water dragons, they just mentioned them as predecessors of chinses dragons and played a few seconds of footage.

Asian mythical dragons do not have the same behavior or physical features to European ones. For starters, on one hand they are revered godlike beings, and on the other, they are scary, destructive monsters that need to be slain. But it is interesting that the concept of a giant flying reptilian creatures is part of mythology in different cultures.

I would think that has more to do with the difference in philosophy/culture of the east and west. The thought of the east seems to respect those (nature) that are greater than man while the west seems to try and conquer those greater than man.

I could see how dragons COULD exsist:

They have long necks and long tails for balance, and they have a thin body. The look like a t rex thats been stretched out, they have ornimental spikes and horns on their heads and necks, and a cool axe like tail(like draco from that movie, or that spiky dinosaur thing) and they have huge wings that lock into place and they run fast, and they glide over the ground, so they can out run any thing around them, and they can make sharpe turns by twisting their necks and tails, as well as moving their wings like aerolons on airplanes.

They would look like the ones on reign of fire, except the don't fly(too heavy, consumes too much food) , they glide and they don't eat ash( who came up with that anyway?).

• 3 weeks later...
They would look like the ones on reign of fire, except the don't fly(too heavy...)

although, if they could breath fire, could they inflate themselves with hot air like a balloon, to partially counteract their weight.