Is a p2p internetwork a new kind of internet ?

nameta9

Is a p2p internetwork a new kind of internet ?

Here is an interesting problem I came across and sent in another forum. There are some responses, but it is intruiging.

This may be a new internet invention, I am really not sure because I don't know the technology well.

I have a question regarding peer to peer networks. I saw that if you have a p2p client like emule or imesh you can access all the information shared on that particular client's network. So you can access imesh's network if you have imesh OR emule's network if you have emule. But these two distinct networks are seperated and not communicating. So if I find a song on emule, that song is not being shared on imesh. Why not just INTERCONNECT ALL THE P2P NETWORKS TOGETHER so as to have all their contents shared by all the p2p networks?

And maybe connect all those p2p networks to some normal internet websites?

Thanks for any suggestions .......

The two networks use disparate protocols, and so cannot be just "tied" together. You could write a client which participates on both networks, offering the same files on both, but that's the best you could do to tie them together.

Emule and Imesh are but two of many existing p2p (application layer) protocols used by corresponding p2p programs. So even if you managed to write clients that understand the protocol of both kinds of programs, there are too many other existing protocols to create a kind of unified p2p internet.

As long as there is competition among p2p products, different protocols will continue to exist that do not cooperate with each other.

So then I am right! This would be A NEW INTERNET INVENTION or application!

I mean finding a way of internetworking all the p2p networks could lead to a further huge extension of the internet and could increase many times its power.

With millions of computers sharing files and being able to cross the boundaries of the various proprietary p2p networks creating a peer to peer internetwork could really be an interesting thing!

I imagine that within an individual PC you could have a few p2p clients operating and creating a kind of bridge - router application amongst them. The these bridges could diffuse amongst all the users and you could end up with a peer to peer internetwork.