On-board graphics

neo007

Is the on-board graphics on the latest mobos (i.e. GA-K8NXP-SLI) sufficient to load/install windows xp on a new pc?

The reason for asking this is that i'm building a new high spec pc, and i don't really want to wait till i save up enough to buy all the parts in one go, i plan on saving up for a mobo, processor, RAM and HD first, installing an OS(probably winXP) and then adding the necessary such as a good graphics card later. Any help appreciated.

Onboard graphcs card will be good enough to load XP, but you really DO NOT want on board gfx!!! especially if you play any games or look at images or movies or DVDs or anything.

Make sure that you can actually upgrade from onboard to real gfx card.

Also newer graphics cards use PCI express as opposed to AGP, so look out for that.

The GA-K8NXP-SLI does have PCi-E but i am aware that games such as Doom3 and Halo2 stand no chance on working on an on-board graphics. I was thinking that all motherboards come with on-board graphics as standard.

The GA-K8NXP-SLI does have PCi-E but i am aware that games such as Doom3 and Halo2 stand no chance on working on an on-board graphics. I was thinking that all motherboards come with on-board graphics as standard.

Not by a long way in my experiance, my brothers just bought the non sli version of that card, which is identicle other than sli, and it does not have on board graphics (I just checked the back of it for the port), also I can't find any mention of it on gigabytes website, so I asume that it doesn't have it.

On board graphics is normally suitable for machines as long as you don't want a games machine, if you do want a games machien then some games will work, but not all. It is suitable for most people who just want a machine for typing letters though.